1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a machine shop that does
head porting for the ZX car. Is porting the
head worth the money, how much HP would
I get, and is good for every day driving. I have a budget of under $1000 for the head work.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
> Is porting the
> head worth the money, how much HP would
> I get, and is good for every day driving. I
> have a budget of under $1000 for the head
> work.
> Thanks
Porting and polishing the head as well as modifying the Combustion chamber and shaving the head can make a huge difference anywhere from 20-80hp can be made in the head for modest costs $500.00- $1200.00(depending on the work done.) when you combine it with other mods like headers and exhaust and a hi flow filter.
actual hp gains are not that huge if no other mods are made 10-30hp and your torque will increase also. You will have more hp accross your entire rpm range and will definitely FEEL IT!.
You will likely get better gas mileage. How much depends on other mods you make.
You really should put on a hi flow filter system and a header and exhaust to take full advantage of the head work. Other mods can be done later to easily take advantage of the head work.
Hope this starts to answer some questions.
Keep all of us posted on your decision.
Scott. ZR8ED.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: Alamo

> Does anyone know of a machine shop that does
> head porting for the ZX car. Is porting the
> work.
> Thanks

Jacob, I have heard that Datsuns/Nissans make their power in the head i.e. gains are mostly realized by focusing on improving flow in that area. Alamo Autosport in Arlington, Tx (817) 860-4300 had mine done for around $800. the only thing I wanted that they didn't do was to ceramic-coat the combustion chamber, but since it's a P90 head, I'm not sure it would have really netted me any more power for the money. They also didn't do a baseline dyno run after the head was installed, so I can't give you hard #'s, but you can definitely feel the difference. How much would Extrude-Honing cost you??

·
Registered
399 Posts
Good Question: Who is T

> Does anyone know of a machine shop that does
> head porting for the ZX car. Is porting the
> work.
> Thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
Who is "THE BEST"?

> what are you asking, Coop??
Good question: who is THE BEST shop to send a Z head to for custom deshrouding, porting, polishing, etc? I would love to be able to send a head out UPS, to a reputable company, who I know can do first rate quality head work to meet my performance goals, and who will stand behind their work. I haven't found a local guy yet I can trust (still looking in Tampa).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.