ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know where to hook up wires to a electric cooling fan and the injector fan.Right now I have them hooked up to the coil but does not seem to be a good idea.I know that you can hook up a stwitch but do not want someone to foget to turn it on or off.

Thanks ; Jason

·
Registered
78 Posts
my fan is hooked right into the fuse box. you can run the wires neatly through the fire wall in one of the holes that's already there. mine has been that way for 8 years, with no problems.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Jason:

Remove that wire from the coil NOW! Unless it is a "sense" line for a thermostat you are melting down your wiring harness. I am surprised you haven't been blowing a fuse. Most cooling fans draw 7-12 amps the circuit to your coil is not rated to have that added to it. You should get a direct tap to the battery and run your positive directly to a relay then to the fan. Be sure the relay has contacts rated well beyond the fans current draw (>20%) to assure its life. Wire your control switch to trip the coil on the relay (any 12v source is ok for this as the pick coil is load is typically <500ma). This is the only way to do this right (use the same formula for headlights and horns). With regard to the F.I. blower that small squirrel cage fan doesn't draw a lot of current <5a but still should be wired in a similar fashion. I believe that in the original installation of that blower there is a full time live circuit with a time delay that brings it on when the motor is shut down and the temp is high. The relays you need can be easily found on ZX cars (81-83) in a black box mounted on the inside fender under the hood (driver side) just in front of the strut tower. There are about six in there they plug in and can be wired in for your application with standard crimpable spade connectors (female).

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: Good place to hook up wires fan?</b>

I own a 240z and I solderd the (+) to the fusebox and the grounded the fan to the body right at the radiator bolt. I have had no problems for a year now. I bumped up the fuse from a 10 to a 20 amp. Good luck.

·
Registered
382 Posts
RE: Good place to hook up wires fan?-Mike......

Mike..... never bump a fuse up from 10 to 20 amps! If the fuse position is rated at 10amps, the wiring going to it is also rated at 10 amps. So if you put a 20 amp fuse in there, and there is a short going to that fuse, the wiring will melt or burn before the fuse will blow! Not safe!
Mike kZ

·
Registered
345 Posts

Mike has it right. It is dangerous to re-engineer the wiring or electrical components in any d.c. (or a.c. for that matter) system unless you really know ohm's law and the hardware you are working with. Run the fan through a relay connected directly to the battery (a 10a draw fan should be fused at 15a and wired with at least 14 guage wire)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

use a relay with a 20 amp fuse to the battery.Any parts store carries relays for under 10 bucks. also use a keyed ignition source so you won't forget to turn it off...turn off the key, no power to relay, no power to fan. I had the radiator guy drill a hole for the sensor of my aftermarket thermostat in the top tank and solder it shut, didnt have to trust the seal if I put it in the upper radiator hose. Ran a seperate switch into the car also, no real reason. Works great

·
Registered
345 Posts

Totally agree with the ignition switched power source on the relay coil - very good point!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.