ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering planning to rebuild the L26 eningine in my early 260. It has the original E88 head. I want more power. Should I switch to another head, or work on the E88? Also, what other modifications will increase the output of the L26? Bore it out?, and if so how much? Change the stroke?, if so how? Other?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
We all want it!

Coop,
Sounds like you got the horsepower bug! Problem is, with these motors there is so many ways to build it, a correct answer cannot be given, only suggestions can be made. Here are my suggestions of what has worked in the past for me.
* 280Z L28 block, bored .040 over with FLAT TOP pistons, (Flat tops are stock on an 81 280ZX)
* E31 head (smaller combustion chamber than the E88) Ported, polished, and port matched to the intake and the exhaust. The E88 can be worked though if you don't have the cash for an E31. Plus the E31 is a fairly tough head to get your hands on (at least in Ga.)
* Cam and rockers (depends on how radical a motor you wish to build as to what lift/duration you get)
* Triple Weber side draft carbs, (This is the key right here - airflow in + airflow out = horsepower!)
* I would avoid the stroker kit as they are downright expensive.
* 11lb flywheel with Centerforce clutch. (Gotta make it hook, plus the lighter flywhell REALLY helps in the upper RPM's)

Again, this is all opinion, and we all know what opinions are like. If you had the $$$ you could always look into a turbo setup for the car, but then I would disregard the above mentioned mods and focus on building a lower compression motor around the turbo, with maybe a special ground cam and some head porting for improved airflow. Most of your horsepower is generated from the top end components - your focus should be there. Should you desire torque, look into the stroker kit and focus more on the bottom end components.
Hope this helps - sorry to ramble.

> I am considering planning to rebuild the L26
> eningine in my early 260. It has the
> original E88 head. I want more power. Should
> I switch to another head, or work on the
> E88? Also, what other modifications will
> increase the output of the L26? Bore it
> out?, and if so how much? Change the
> stroke?, if so how? Other?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.