ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking at buying a 75 280Z. It looks like it has been well taken care of. The guy who owns it is the 2nd owner and he's had it for 20 years and it's only been drivin in the spring and summer for the past 7 years. New original paint job was done on it about 5 yrs. ago and it has 98,500 miles on it. A lot of the Z's that we have been looking at have had anywhere from 150,000 to 250,000 miles. He has bought and installed a carpet kit for it and looks very free from rust. Runs like a charm. He's asking $3200 for it. Is this a good deal? What are some of the things that I should look for and what of some of the normal problems that occur?

Thanks,
Louie

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Louie, You don't mention what part of the country you are in so I am going to give you the general answer. Remember any car can be driven just about anywhere so just cause you are looking at a car in Phoenix doesn't mean it didn't originally come from Minneapolis. I have found that if a car has spent time in a "rust belt" region you may find hidden rust in the wheel wells especially the drivers side. Turn the wheels left and right and look at the trailing edge back in the wheel wells. Some will be rusted right through. Earlier Z cars than your 75 in question will rust under the battery tray but it is another good place to check on first generation cars. Frame rails are next. On cars that come from a "Sun Belt" region rubber parts are the problem. You can spend enough money on bushings and weatherstripping to make up for rust repair here. Bottom line is that you can easily spend triple your initial investment on the car to "fix it up" for this reason I always have a mechanic evaluate the condition on a lift. Easily worth the $50 it costs.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob for the reply, I really appreciate it. I am from Washington State. And there appears to be no rust on it at all. Is 3200 a fair price do you think?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It sounds like it is in exceptional condition for an older Z. It is not however collectable in any way shape or form. I would offer him $2500.00 and go as high as $2750.00. You may be hamstrung by the fact that cars like this in this condition are rare in WA while common in CA where they sell for $1800.00 to $2500.00 every day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.