ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tommorrow is the day. I'm gonna get the use of a lift at the local Nissan dealer where my neighbor is a service manager. Gonna swap an early Z 5sp for my original 4 spd. Also gonna swap in a 3.90 R200 in place of my 3.364 R180, and going to use urethane mustache bar bushings. Just replaced my sway bar bushings with urethane. LOVE THEM. Less sway, NO adverse ride quality. These are my first real mods. Next will be to replace the brakes, get the a/c working again, and then LET THE ENGINE/EXHAUST MODS. BEGIN!!!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Gonna' Swap Tranny and Rear End Tommorrow!!

Coop- Hi
I have a 77z with the 5 speed in it. I pulled a 3.9 diff yesterday for it and am planning on installing it next week. Let me know how it went and if you noticed the gain in accelleration!! Where did you get the urethane mustasche bushings. I have been looking for them. I have usethiane on my suspension tech sway bars and will never go back to stock. Good luck on the swap! You will love that 5th gear four sure!!-TJ 77z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Gonna' Swap Tranny and Rear End Tommorrow!!

Man you guys are lucky. I have been looking for a 3.90 for over a month now and I have only found one and they want almost $300. for it. I cant see paying that much,especially when TJ got his for $35. I guess I will just keep looking but I am getting discouraged.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Where are you located?

Where are you located, at one yard I went to they have at least 5 of them. Lets talk mabey I can help you out. Feel free to e-mail me.
Z ya

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: Gonna' Swap Tranny and Rear End Tommorrow!!

Got the Urethane Mustache Bar bushings from Motorsport. I burned out the old ones with sa Bernz-o-Matic torch. The sway went well. Started around 9:00, got tranny and rear end swapped by 1:00 (I had the benefit of the full use of the local Nissan dealer's lift, air tools and help from a friend). Had no problems witht the installation, but the tranny I put in may be bad. Its making a scraping sound in all gears but 4th, especially when I downshift, or ease off the throttle. I go the tranny for $48 from the U-Pull yard. I may have to get another. (actually I have another in the garage). Other than the funny sounds its making, I love the rear end, and I love the tranny, especially 3rd and 5th gears. The 5th gives a final drive only slightly higher than 4th in my stock 260, so it is not that great a highway gear, but I did the swap for performance, not economy. Kind of dissappointed that I may have to pull the tranny again, but with the facilities at Nissan, and my buddy, I think we can do it in under 2 hours next time. My goal is to get there next Saturday at 7:00 and get back home before 9:00 before my wife even misses me.

P.S. - I got the R200 for $70 bucks.

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
RE: Gonna' Swap Tranny and Rear End Tommorrow!!

boy, I just picked up 3 five speeds at pick-a-part half price day.
$37.50 plus 15 core. The 200 sx turbo R200 rearend complete was 50, and I don't know howmany 3.90 and 3.70 280ZX rear gear I left because there wasn't enough time. If you're near LA, they're all still there...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.