ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have a 1970 Nova and have decided to to restor/build up it to use as my daily driver/drag car, i know it'll handle like crap and get about 13MPG but it'll pss anything on the road(in a straight line) when i get done with it. I have enjoyed my Z but it just doesn't give me the rush that it used to, and to make it as fast as the Nova will just cost too much. So i'm gonna sell the Z.

· Registered
539 Posts
Just sold my 280ZX the other day, now I drive a '90 Mustang. I missed the Z as soon as it left my driveway. Same deal with my first car, a 1971 240Z. I really miss that one the most. The Mustang is great and I wouldn't sell it for anything else I can afford right now. Old Chevys are certainly cheap to make fast for drag races. I have been having thoughts of buying another Z as a project car (engine swap) when the cash is available.

Kyle

· Registered
1,784 Posts
Have fun. I'm sure I'll be passing you in the straights and the twisties, while getting 25 mpg :D Later,

'78ZXT

· Registered
2,185 Posts
I had a '74 Nova with a 350...

that car was a blast. I may be wrong, but I believe the underpinnings of the 70s Novas are the same as the 70s Camaros with the main difference being wheelbase length. They don't handle all that bad, although not as well as the Z. If you want to get a rush from your next Z, buy a first generation one. They are more like sports cars and less like luxury cars-totally different feel. Of course, they aren't as fast as the V8, but you can do the swap with a boneyard 350 and tranny for a few thousand.

· Registered
1,784 Posts
Re: sleeper, what makes u think that?

Well, I live in Denver, 5000' elevation. Currenlty I run 14's in the 1/4, which is 1/2 second or more faster than most 3000lb street V8 cars. I don't have an intercooler on yet, or my upgraded fuel system. When I do, and get it tuned, I should be running mid-low 13's (street tires). Believe me, unless you are going all out with forged everything and N2O or supercharger, there is no N/A V8 on the street that will touch those times at my elevation. Eventually, I expect to be running low 12's, and there are people running that with the stock motor turbo L28 where I am, so I'm not out of line with that. Like I say, good luck, but all the street legal hopped up Novas and Mustangs make lots of noise at Bandimere, but they never run better than 14's.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I am goin with forged pistons and a 383 hopfully runnin mid-low 13's and then i'll get NOS(gotta get used to the car before i hit a button and have 125-150hp extra) and i think i can get my 13-15MPG with an overdrive and 3.42 rear end, as for the loud part, i want it to have a low rumble, not an annoying, obnxious sound.

· Registered
268 Posts
Justin81 - Why don't you....

put that V8 into your Z car and have the best of both worlds? You can find an manual on the conversion here at Jags That Run http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html and lots of people that have done it over here a Hybrid Z http://www.hybridz.org/

And here's a few pics of my 1971 240Z based 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO with a 365 HP 327 CID small block Chevy in it. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1743399&a=13418353&f=0

It really makes a great conversion.

· Registered
5,596 Posts
Re: Justin81 - Why don't you....

Ron is trying to sell his BBC ( Mid 8's) - motor and trans for 8k... if all you are lookin for is a drag car. Me I'll keep my 11 sec street car...

Check out hybridz.org before you sell the Z

Z U V8ter

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cyind

number one i don't want an 11 sec street car, couldn't afford the insurance on it, second what is the point of an 11 sec street car?! like your ever gonna race it on the street against another 11 sec car and is your daily driven? all i want is a low 13-high 12 sec car ad to make my z do that it would cost about $6000, i can totally restore my Nova for that much and then sell it for what i have in it, i'm already in the hole on my Z because the "bullet proof" L-6 blew up and i hadto put another one in it, i've never even liked imports, but i tried, and now i'm goin back to american cars.

· Registered
1,784 Posts

Sounds fun! Take care.

· Registered
402 Posts
Justin,for your street engine consider Rhodes lifters. They will greatly increase idle vacuum & smooth the idle with larger hydraulic cams as well as increase city MPG's. On one engine I built they increased idle vacuum from 12" to 16". Low end torque is much better too so you won't need a really loose, inefficient convertor. They make a clicking noise similar to a solid lifter. With a well tuned 383 & od trans 20+ mpg on the highway should be no problem. Have fun.

· Registered
5,596 Posts
Justin81

To each his own! I could not care less if you sell your z and build the 70 Nova. I have had a 65 Chevy II, 67 Camero and a 72 Super Sport myself. You see I was not trying to bash you, only pointing out a light weight z with everything to run a 150+ 1/4. You see most people don't build 383's to be daily driver. My z came as is from someone that has way to much money IMO. The z was only one of his four cars and I could not talk him into sell me the 66 427 4-speed Corvette which is one of the cleanest one that I seen in the last 35 years. This guy called a Ford dealer and asked for a 50K SUV with all the options that he wanted on it and when they said they had one just like it in stock, he asked " could you put on my master charge card and I'll go by the bank and bring a Cashier Check when I pick it up?". So you can see why I have an 11 sec street car it was one of his toys that he did not want to move back to dallas when he left here. So by being in the right place at the right time I got the car for 3500. It might not be my daily driver because I own more then one car it could be. It will see maybe 3 to 5k per year when I'm happy enough to repaint when I done going through the whole car bumper to bumper... So what ever you decide to do with your projects I do wish you the best of luck with it. Just remember that old Chevys never die they just run faster.... Tip on Insureance: get it first with stock motor and air pan etc... then put the 383 headers NOS and other goodies in it... then if something does happen just say "Doh, how did that get in there"

Z U V8ter

· Registered
232 Posts
I've got a 69 Dodge Charger 300+hp in the garage, 67 mustang 289, 72 chevy vega small block chevy, But with the big pile of keys on the counter...I go straight for the 78Z keys to get to the Burger King and back. Fun, handles nice. A/C!, 23mpg, not as bad-ass fast, but great nonetheless.
chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.