ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm going to try painting my fist car (72 Z). Now the paint code by the radiator is 110. This is listed as red, but the car sure looks orange to me. The car has been resprayed once. It is a very close match to the original paint inside the engine bay and interior floor pan. When I go to buy paint will I get red or orange with this code?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If you get the paint mixed at the paint shop by the Paint Code Number you found on the sticker, you will get the color / shade on the car inside the engine compartment or under the seats; as long as those areas have NOT been repainted or faded over time.

Please note that I did not refer to the paint by name. Paint names don't necessarily correspond to the actual COLOR of the paint. (Tell me! My car is a 1971 "Gold" #920 a.k.a. Mustard and I won't even tell you what I've heard the color referred to as.)

The repaint done on your car may have been "matched" to the color of the car at the time the paint was bought. Remember uncared for paint jobs tend to fade / age over time changing the appearance of the shade. If you attempt to match to the color of the car, as sometimes needs to be done in order to repair/ replace a section of the vehicle you won't be going by the paint code.

Therefore, ordering Nissan #110 for 1972 should give you that shade of orange that Datsun called "RED", which is what you found in your engine compartment.

That make sense?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank's a lot, makes perfect sense. The color in the engine bay and on the floor pan is orange (original paint). I feel relieved that when I buy paint I wont get red. Good job Randy and the Diamondbacks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.