ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 280ZX turbo stock no mods. I always end up peeking in the preformance section of my Motorsports auto parts mag. Kinda like earlier thread by Mr. Smith I would like to improve my preformance without going to hard on my engine since its a daily driver. I was thinking (you guys help me out). Going with a adjustable boost kit #10-2136 for $94.95 then a Autometer boost gauge #50-5258 for $57.95 (because I read somewhere that the stock turbo boost gauge was not very accurate. Also the Gauge mount kit #10-1968 for $24.95. And I guess I would need the adjustable pop-off valve 6-12 psi #10-2132 Yellow spring for $99.95 to handle maybe 9 psi of boost. Hopefully in that way I won't have to spend bucks for an intercooler. What do you guys think? this is all on page 45.
Thanks
Len

· Registered
1,986 Posts
all sounds good to me except one little thing........way toooooo much money.

Search the archives, for home made boost valve, and variations of that. One can be made for way under $10 and a trip to home depot.

But I guess you could buy the one from motorsport if you want something looking perfect and don't wanna spend the 5 min making one.

The gauge and mounting hardware sound ok.

Now about the pop-off valve, search the archives for that too, you can modify yours by simply adding a few washers, (under $1).

I used to have a web site bookmarked that explaned all this in detail, but then my computer messed up and I had to format. If I find it I'll let ya know.

Josh 83zxt

· Registered
122 Posts
all sounds good from what both of you have said but one madjer thing are you shure you wana blow all that hot air into your motor? i would recomend a inter cooler because of the fact its not good to blow hot air into your car not only is it thiner but it makes the car run hotter but thats up 2 you ..

Two Seater Speeder

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I 've heard of intercoolers; they sound great except for the price. So that is why I figure I would go with a modest boost of around 9 PSI. I've heard people say you could get by with 9 PSI without doing damage to my engine. Although an intercooler would be ideal except I think I saw them run around $500 + (that's outa my league!)
Thank's for your reply
Len

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW! I didn't realize a person could do the same thing with parts at Home Depo! If you run across that website please let me know. For now I will try to search the history file for a thread talking about this! About how long ago do you remember the discussion?
From the pictures in the parts book I could see where a person could make something up (I guess the washers would increase pop off pressure of the pop off valve). These turbos are so new to me I was afraid to try it on my own thinking I may screw something up, but your reply has given me some incentive. I guess I will just buy the boost gauge so I will know how many PSI I'm using to calabrate the Pop off valve. and the adjustable boost valve (when I figure out how to make that baby and where to put it!).
Thanks again!
Len

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I need to educate myself as to first what intercooler would fit on my 83 280zxT (not to many 280 zxt's with intercoolers around here in OKC) and what the going price at the salvage yard. Because that intercooler from what I heard would allow even MMMMOOORRREEE power! by enabling me to increase my boost more. But I must remember this is my daily driver I'm talking about...

· Registered
122 Posts
what inter cooler would fit

dude any one would fit and work its all about geting cold air all you have to do is know some one who can make the pipping for the inter cooler .. ok this is basicly what it dus air hits the metal cooling it down the air go`s through the cooled metal cooling the air then into the motor its simple you could go into a junk yard and find a old conquest with a inter cooler and bam hook it up nothing more to it :even though you would thing there is > as fare as a blow off valve i wouldent know because im guna be runing a adjustable one so i can adjust the boost as i feal nessary ..

Two Seater Speeder

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: what inter cooler would fit

OK now I think I'm catching on. Talking to another guy at another website he said any intercooler would work its just fabracating the brackets, piping etc.Where would I find someone who could do that. Or where would I look? Also what would an adjustable Pop off valve cost or are you making one up? I looked at what I think is the pop off valve ( in my 83 repair manual its called a "emergency relief valve") It looked sealed up to where a guy couldn't get to it to adjust anything. I've got Corky Bell's book ultimate boost I need to really look at it to understand this turbo stuff!
Thanks
Len

· Registered
5,340 Posts

all you have to do is drill out that rivet and replace with a screw, that way it can be adjusted later when you go wtih more boost. there was a website on here about that but i forgot what it was.

· Registered
122 Posts

ok good as long as your starting to ketch on yes it would take a little bit of fabrecation but any import performance shop can do this for you also a mufler shop could probibly bend the pippe for you .. and as fare as obtaning a intercooler for cheap go to the local junk yard and see if they have a car with a inter cooler <make shure you know what cars have them that they may have before you just go in and ask because they will try and rob you if they know your trying to build a performance car with it > ok as i was saying simply run the tubeing and bam you got a inter cooler id say its easly safe to run 10lbs with a inter cooler all day long i know ill be running 10 at first id like to run more but i want the local shop around here to punch some numbers and see what kind of safe boost i can run any ways if i was you i wouldent run more than 15lbs ok im out later

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Guys I thank you! I really learned alot.
I figure I will go with moderate boost since I just spent big bucks on new turbo injectors and don't want to buy larger ones for fuel increase.
I'll either build or buy a manual adjustable boost controller; along with a boost gauge so I can find out my boost. Then get an air/fuel gauge possibly one of those ten stage models using lights green/red to show if running lien. If I run lien I'd turn down boost till its rich enough or maybe use my cold weather injector and place a pressure switch(still new on this) like gus's website mentioned. But after reading Corky Bell's book last night I am going to really look into a intercooler(I also feel bad asking ignorant questions I should have looked at past threads and read Corky Bell sooner). I found where the black pipe runs from turbo to intake I figure I'd cut into that put on some flanges, connect piping run it to the front (due to location of my AFM and K&N filter maybe run it into my wheelwell then around) and place whatever intercooler I find in the front of the radiator! Also rework my emergency relief valve (pop-off valve).
First I have got to heal up from this knee surgery I have last week. I will then work on turbo boosting!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.