ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i have a 80 280zx that i drag race. mods include, flowmaster exhaust, k&n intake and advanced timing, bf goodrich drag radials! best time 15.6 best mph 88. what do i need to do to get this car into the 14's? i want to keep the interals stock for now. what do you guys suggest?

G

·
I'm more familiar with the 84 to 89 series Z. A lot of racers feel that getting rid of the fan clutch and fan and replacing it with an electric fan is good for a few more ponies. Not so much on the turbos but more on the n/a versions. Hope this helps. Good luck. John.

· Registered
506 Posts
Better cam, dump your a/c (remove the pump), get an electric fan, remove your p/s and alternator belts (for the drag race only), this might get you close. Norm is one of the experts in good 1/4 mile time tips.

Nick

· Registered
43 Posts
Maybe if you would drop some weight. You could make a little time considering you won't be pulling so much weight like before. I read on the forum somewhere that someone mentioned about changing the pulley on thefront of the motor from a, I think a three belt down to a two belt pulley. It suppose to make the engine feel like it has dropped about two hundred pounds in weight. Can anyone confirm that for me?

· Registered
323 Posts
Going to a 2-belt pully jus takes extra mass off of the front pully. It is comparable to putting in a light-weight flywheel, but much more easier. There is less metal for the engine to spin around so you get more hp to the wheels instead of throwing it into the third, unused pully.

Get a turbo AFM and change out the internals using a non-turbo. If you do this, be sure to get a larger throttle body, port the intake manifold to match the throttle body and do some polishing and/or porting on each intake runner. This all together will add HP as opposed to what some people say.

put on a 4.11 rear. If you havent' driven a car with lower gearing, then you dont' understand how much this helps. This is especially usefull for an 80 ZX. You will be going from a 3.54 to a 4.11:1 gearing. That alone can knock a half second off the quarter mile time if you are good with shifting.

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Everything I was going to say is pretty much covered. Get a rising rate fuel regulator, its suposed to get you more fuel on the top end. Did someone mention turbo injectors? I'm pretty sure they will help you a little.

Justin T

· Registered
92 Posts
280Dragger,

You need 2 get rid of as much wait as you possibly can. Take out those heavy seats, the spair in the rear, sounds, and strip it out to the bone.

Get some durable shocks that will give you the support you need to get off the line.

Try the throttle body and rising rate fuel presure regulator.

Replace all old hoses!

Get rid of the catylitic converter!

Grab that fat cam

and get the MSD System/W coil.

Most of all, get the limited slip differential!!!!! Then I'll meet you at the show down...Jan.22nd. Remember.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.