ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some one explain the advantages of the GM distributor. I have a 76 will it make any difference? Can you get a junk yard one and have it refurbshed?
Thanks in advance
Craig76Z

·
Registered
197 Posts
> Can some one explain the advantages of the
> GM distributor. I have a 76 will it make any
> difference? Can you get a junk yard one and
> have it refurbshed?
> Thanks in advance
> Craig76Z
What gm distibutor? Are you talking about using an HEI module?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> What gm distibutor? Are you talking about
> using an HEI module?
It would take a magician to put a GM distributor into an L6 motor. So you must be talking about the HEI module. The main and most obvious advantage is that if your stock Nissan module has gone bad the GM module costs about $25-28 while the Nissan module costs about $125. Further, if your in Nebraska on I-80 at two in the afternoon on Sunday and your Nissan module goes bad. Chances are pretty good you should bend over cause your screwed. On the other hand you can usually buy the GM-HEI at any exit off the freeway. Other advantages may included an improved over Nissan dwell though I can't confirm this. ZCCD Magazine is doing an article in the next issue on the GM-HEI. It should be coming out in April.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: DISTRIBUTOR MODULE

E mail me and I'll send you the diections for swapping the distributor...you use a 78 280 distributor and a $10.00 GM HEI module. It's an easy upgrade and cheap, and if anyone uses points, holy cow are you missing the boat. TIM

Ps. You CAN use a GM distributor in a Z, it just has to be sticking out of a GM ENGINE.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

> E mail me and I'll send you the diections
> for swapping the distributor...you use a 78
> 280 distributor and a $10.00 GM HEI module.
> It's an easy upgrade and cheap, and if
> anyone uses points, holy cow are you missing
> the boat. TIM

> Ps. You CAN use a GM distributor in a Z, it
> just has to be sticking out of a GM ENGINE.

I have read alot about swapping from points to the GM HEI but what if you already have Nissan electronic ignition, Can you still make the swap?

·
Registered
22 Posts

> I have read alot about swapping from points
> to the GM HEI but what if you already have
> Nissan electronic ignition, Can you still
> make the swap?

If you already have electronic ignition, you don't need to change to the HEI (which is simply.... electronic ignition)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

> If you already have electronic ignition, you
> don't need to change to the HEI (which is
> simply.... electronic ignition)
I agree that there wouldn't be much performance benefit to changing
remember that when your in the middle of nowhere and your transistor box takes a dump.. By the way HEI stands for High Energy Ignition.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

> I agree that there wouldn't be much
> performance benefit to changing
> remember that when your in the middle of
> nowhere and your transistor box takes a
> dump.. By the way HEI stands for High Energy
> Ignition.

This is a daily commuter car which is driven 120 miles per day. I was more concerned about having to replace an expensive Nissan part. I have yet to read anywhere about changing to a GM HEI on one that already has electronic ignition. So I was curious if this is practical or not, Simply from a cost and convienance stand point. Thank you for the responses.

·
Registered
59 Posts

There is absolutely no reason to change a properly running Nissan electronic ignition to an archaic GM HEI, you will only lose performance.
The Nissan one is optimum for a Z engine's characteristics, not perfect but pretty decent.

To get a boost in performance on a stock elec. ignition you would bypass the Nissan module and run the dist. pickup directly to the new ignition. I plan on upgrading to a Crane Hi-6 next month. Should be interesting.

Bryan
The Datsun Z garage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.