ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the same problem several other Z owners do. My lights dim severley at idle. I have tried cleaning all the contacts, replacing the alt, voltage reg and battery. No luck. Two new options are replacing the pulley with a smaller one making the alt spin faster at lower rpm's or going to the GM 100 amp alt. Since I just got a very nice sound system for Christmas would you recomend the GM alt? As always any info is appreciated. Thanks and enjoy your holidays.

Craig
762+2

·
Registered
51 Posts
> Craig you can use an internally regulated alternator from a 280ZX. I think its over 100amps. I have one on my car and the lights do not dim at Idle and the seem to be brighter. To use this set up you have to modify the wiring slightly. The T shaped plug that goes into the back of your stock alternator has 2 wires going to it . One is white and one is yellow (I think)anyway clip these wires with about 1.5 sticking out of the plug. Twist these together. Now take the wires sticking out of the harness(the same wires you just cut)and twist them together. Use a butt connector to join all of these wires back together. Now you can use the ZX alternator. This will disable the idiot light on the volt meter(if so equiped) but the gauge will stil work fine. Good luck.

I have the same problem several other Z
> owners do. My lights dim severley at idle. I
> have tried cleaning all the contacts,
> replacing the alt, voltage reg and battery.
> No luck. Two new options are replacing the
> pulley with a smaller one making the alt
> spin faster at lower rpm's or going to the
> GM 100 amp alt. Since I just got a very nice
> sound system for Christmas would you
> recomend the GM alt? As always any info is
> appreciated. Thanks and enjoy your holidays.

> Craig
> 762+2

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: MY HEADLIGHTS DIM AT IDLE SPD TOO!

> I have the same problem several other Z

I'm on my 3rd alternator in 3 years ,
and still to this day, my headlights,
dashlights go dim at idle speed.
Unfortunately we as z owners just
have to live with it. ......GEO79zx

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
FUSEBOX SOLDERING IS THE ANSWER!!!!!!!
I had a 73 240-- always had the speed dependent lighting system you discribe. Also the gas gauge was doing interesting things, like going to full whenever I stepped on the brake. It all went away with a new fusebox. All was right with the world. Until it came back this past fall. Hmmmmmm, new fuse box, all the connections were dielectric coated three years ago-took em apart and there was no corrosion. But my new nissan fusebox ($80 from the dealer three years ago!) was showing a little tell tale melting at the usual spots. Melting means heat. Heat comes from resistance...
Pulled the box apart, soldered all the fuse taps together, along with all the pigtails to the wires and connectors. Reinstalled it and WOAH!!!
I had really bright lights, that don't flare with engine speed, and my gas gage works once again. Hope this helps. Now whenever I get a car, I pull the fusebox and perform this before troubleshooting anything else. Its really amazing.> I have the same problem several other Z

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.