ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok- So FINALLY I am getting some 15x7 wheels for my z(thanks Ross) so I need to get some tires. I have decided on 225 55r15 for the size. First what is the difference between..HR,VR,ZR, and just R? Also what brands are economical but offer great traction for the turns?
Thanks everyone-Travis 77z

·
Registered
529 Posts
Re: Getting Wheels for my z...what brand of tires?

> Ok- So FINALLY I am getting some 15x7 wheels
> for my z(thanks Ross) so I need to get some
> tires. I have decided on 225 55r15 for the
> size. First what is the difference
> between..HR,VR,ZR, and just R? Also what
> brands are economical but offer great
> traction for the turns?
> Thanks everyone-Travis 77z

Travis,
The H, V, and Z are speed ratings. This has no relation to cornering grip.... H=130mph...V=149mph...Z=149+mph
I would reccomend at least an H rating. Some tires you may want to check out are:
BFG Comp T/A HR4
Yokohama A509
Nitto NT450
Go to Auto Enhancement in Fresno, Allen can recomend a tire that suits both your driving style and budget. ZZZZZZZZ-ya

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NITTO.NITTO.NITTO.NITTO.NITTO.NITTO.NITTO

NITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTONITTO

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

> Travis,
> The H, V, and Z are speed ratings. This has
> no relation to cornering grip....
> H=130mph...V=149mph...Z=149+mph
> I would reccomend at least an H rating. Some
> tires you may want to check out are:
> BFG Comp T/A HR4
> Yokohama A509
> Nitto NT450
> Go to Auto Enhancement in Fresno, Allen can
> recomend a tire that suits both your driving
> style and budget. ZZZZZZZZ-ya

I live in FL it rains here a lot.
I went with 205/60/15 HR
Perrelli P6000 its kind of like a Goodyear aquatread with awsome dry road performance.
I had COMP T/A 's on a Z I usaed to swear by them,'till I got into a rain storm at 55mph my 300zx lifted up and started spinning down the road.It came to stop in a ditch three feet in water.Any tire will work good in dry conditions,let's try speed in the rain!!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hmmm. Of course I am going to tell you to run on Yokohama A509's. Next is why.. First is $$$$ Look at the Nito and Perrelli, Both cost on average $10 a pop more that Yoks. Second is performance. In all the third part test I have seen (and I read a lot of them, my Dad is Director of Commercial Accounts for the US)Yokohama Tires are never been in more that one category, and on average the category they are bested in is road noise or ride comfort. The A509 is a very good all around performer, does well in wet weather( I know I live in Houston) and does great on the track. Not to mention if you don't TRY to spin your tires they do very well of the line and get good tread life. Oh yea, and when you are done with your A509's, you can sell them to one of the SCCA guys so they can shave the rest of the tread off for road racing!!!

·
Registered
529 Posts

> Hmmm. Of course I am going to tell you to
> run on Yokohama A509's. Next is why.. First
> is $$$$ Look at the Nito and Perrelli, Both
> cost on average $10 a pop more that Yoks.
> Second is performance. In all the third part
> test I have seen (and I read a lot of them,
> my Dad is Director of Commercial Accounts
> for the US)Yokohama Tires are never been in
> more that one category, and on average the
> category they are bested in is road noise or
> ride comfort. The A509 is a very good all
> around performer, does well in wet weather(
> I know I live in Houston) and does great on
> the track. Not to mention if you don't TRY
> to spin your tires they do very well of the
> line and get good tread life. Oh yea, and
> when you are done with your A509's, you can
> sell them to one of the SCCA guys so they
> can shave the rest of the tread off for road
> racing!!!
I agree completely w/the A509 choice. I had them on my Z for over a year and they are a great tire. The cornering grip is excellent, and like you said, if you don't burn them up, they have a good tread life. I would have bough them again, but I got a **** of a deal on some Dunlop D40M2's. I also like these tires, however I got the great deal because they were going out of production. However, if you're interested in the D40M2's check the Tire Rack. They might have some left.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So, what do you think of Viper tires? I just bought my Z a little while ago, and the rear (only) tires are new as of this spring, but the fronts look like they are wearing (4-5 yrs old), and I'd rather have a set of four to wear evenly. So, I am probably getting another pair of Vipers for the front.

What are your opinions on Vipers (Radial HX, btw).

Thanks,

Darryl
81 280zx m, 205/60 HR 15's right now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.