ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what would cause real bad gasious fumes inside the cockpit of a 240z? I have a '71 that is giving me this problem, and my '73 was doing it also. I've been told it might be the gaskets for the taillights. Could carbs running too rich cause this to happen? Is this happening to other 240z owners? It is dangerous to drive a car like this, and would like to rectify the problem. Thank You.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Does anybody know what would cause real bad
> gasious fumes inside the cockpit of a 240z?
> I have a '71 that is giving me this problem,
> and my '73 was doing it also. I've been told
> it might be the gaskets for the taillights.
> Could carbs running too rich cause this to
> happen? Is this happening to other 240z
> owners? It is dangerous to drive a car like
> this, and would like to rectify the problem.
> Thank You.

Dangerous? Hmmm, I like it, gives me that magic feeling....
It can be caused by the taillight gaskets or the hatch seal. It happens to just about all Zcar's, get new hatch/taillight gaskets and replace them. It's the way airflows around the Z that does this, sometime I might get a rear spoiler to see if it helps any.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fumes: Holes are everywhere

> Fumes get into the passenger cabin via:
- Loose Rear tailight seals
- Rear hatch not sealed tight
- Gaps in body where gas hoses pass through (you need to remove right rear interior panel to seal the base of the gas line passing through the body
- Torn rubber shift boot (needs replacement)
- Ripped or loose accelerator linkage rubber boot
on firewall
- All other wires pipes passing through firewall need to be sealed
- Doors not sealed tight
- Any rust holes that may have compromised the integrity of the cabin
- Antenna wire passing through body needs to be sealed at the base (remove rear left interior panel)

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
650 Posts
> Dangerous? Hmmm, I like it, gives me that
> magic feeling....
> It can be caused by the taillight gaskets or
> the hatch seal. It happens to just about all
> Zcar's, get new hatch/taillight gaskets and
> replace them. It's the way airflows around
> the Z that does this, sometime I might get a
> rear spoiler to see if it helps any.

actually ive got a 71 also, and ive checked with all the companies i order from... motorsport, victoria british, no name companies ive found on the net and in magazines... i have yet to find one that sells gaskets for the rear tail lights. i havent checked the dealership yet, but its highly doubtful. however, the weather striping on the rear hatch is a likely suspect, as well as all the drainholes and there usually is a very tiny seam along the back panel and frame that you should fill with silicon. this is usually strongly defined but a convention of rust spots. but here's one you dont hear about. my pace setter headers have a plug hole for an oxygen sensor, since i dont have a sensor to plug in i used an exhaust pipe plug. the plug vibrated its way loose and was letting exhaust escape and work its way through the fire wall and into the cabin (or cockpit, what ever). i retightened it and it seemed to fix the problem a bit. i still have fumes, just not as strong. also, if you have a valve cover breather on your valve cover dump it. run a hose from the valve cover to one of your carbs and let the carbs deal with the fumes for you. that was the problem on my friends 510. the best thing to do is to strip all the interior out and start a nation wide man hunt for any holes, rust spots, loose/crumbling weather striping and seams between the body and the frame and fill them in. its time consuming yes, but at least you wont die from carbonmonoxide poisoning. =) hope this helps

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Does anybody know what would cause real bad
> gasious fumes inside the cockpit of a 240z?
> I have a '71 that is giving me this problem,
> and my '73 was doing it also. I've been told
> it might be the gaskets for the taillights.
> Could carbs running too rich cause this to
> happen? Is this happening to other 240z
> owners? It is dangerous to drive a car like
> this, and would like to rectify the problem.
> Thank You.
Are you talking exhaust or gas fumes? Others have exhausted the former; as to the later, have you ever replaced the gas tank hoses or filler neck? They rot with age and let gas fumes into the interior. A fuel leak just about anywhere on the car will permeate into the interior. I run 3xWebbers and when a float sticks, phew!
Good luck!

·
Registered
403 Posts
> Are you talking exhaust or gas fumes? Others
> have exhausted the former; as to
> the later, have you ever replaced the gas
> tank hoses or filler neck? They rot with age
> and let gas fumes into the interior. A fuel
> leak just about anywhere on the car will
> permeate into the interior. I run 3xWebbers
> and when a float sticks, phew!
> Good luck!

I have a '72 Z and I can't drive with the windows open. The engine likes to run rich. I replaced the hatch seal and silconed around the tail lenses. I swear even at 65mph with the fan running high and the fresh air vents open, exhuaust comes in THROUGH THE WINDOWS! When I roll up the windows, even shut off the fans or not, no exhaust. So, I just suck it up and drive with the windows up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.