ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing the full t-belt servicing and made sure I knew how to safely remove the cam seals.

Made a little tool using an industrial strength 90 degree pick tool that I cut down -- worked very well!!!

Unfortunately I couldn't get the crank seal to budge with the pick tool -- so I went to plan B:

Drilled a hole in the seal's metal ring and inserted a screw -- still no go even with a pair of channel locks wired to a lever bar for more force.

So - what should Plan C be? Dimple the ring down a fair amount and then try to work some kind of pry tool in behind? Idea being to lever against the oil pump housing while not nicking either sides of hole or the crank shaft? I really tried to avoid this method - seems to be an easy way to damage something!

Plan D ?-- Thinking maybe a micro-torch to the sides of the ring to get the seal material to melt away from the outside of the metal ring and loosen it up a bit? I'll experiment with an old ring first - to make sure it even is possible?

Any other suggestions - I know this has been an issue with others doing this repair! Thx.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I worked for a gear box manufacturer fir seven years, we removed seals and reinstalled seals all day long like the bottom picture. Provided you do not nick the bore, you should be OK. If you do score the bore, clean it with some emory cloth and use a daub of permatex red when you reinstall the seal. You will not leak.

BTW: I have also changed 8 Nissan timing belts using the same method.

Good luck,

Glen
78 280Z
94 300ZX 2+2

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr. Gbelnap -- thx, any niffty tools to make it easier? Or is just a small screwdriver fine?

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
dave and i took a sharp pick tool like the one you had made, and a rubber mallet and just tapped it into the rubber without damaging any of the surrounding metal or the cam, then just pried it out. worked on all 5 front seals AND the RMS.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I've done cam and crank seals on various VG engines, hondas, other nissans, toyotas, etc. I use the flat blade screwdriver method. works every time. ;)

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the suggestions!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.