ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m getting my blue leather seats reupholstered on my 87 300zx. They are cracked quite badly, due to sun damage and wear on the leather, and I don’t plan to change the color of the interior, but I wanted to ask what do you guys recommend for a material for reupholstery? I’d like the seats to still be blue to match the rest of the car, but I’m still open to any and all suggestions or advice. Cloth, leather, pleather or anything else. Thanks guys! -Retro

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
I will just talk on my experience. I replaced the original leather seats with cloth seats, just because they were so ugly/worn out. In my case the t-tops leak so cloth is really bad for me. Later I found some seats in a salvage yard that looked pretty nice that the previous owner had redone in vinyl. So they look good and do not absorb water. I've had these for several years. If you spill something on it it's going to be easier to wipe off than on cloth obviously. But when the vinyl stains it's kind of hard to get clean. I clean them monthly just to keep up with them. I put a seat warmer on it in the winter. In the summer my back will sweat because the vinyl doesn't breathe at all and I live in Texas and have no ac. I was having the wooden beads on there, I think that helps ventilate your back. I have new seat covers under my bed that are "synthetic leather" that I will have installed some day. The local auto trim guy told me once not to believe most things advertised as synthetic leather, that it's usually just vinyl. I know leather seats require some maintenance, but when it comes to our cars, that's probably not a factor, we want the best for it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The auto trim guy was right. Synthetic leather is just vinyl made to look like leather. $350 for 100% leather, not just the surfaces that touch you like the OEM ones were with vinyl side bolsters, seat backs, and headrests. 350 is a great deal and it was real easy to put them on. Took me a weekend to remove the seats, disassemble them, remove the old leather, install the new 100% leather, re-assemble the seats and re-install them in the car.

Before and after

1 - 4 of 4 Posts