ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling my old Z(n/a). I've been meaning to fix the oil leak and the windows and put it up for sale, but havnt gotten around to it. Anyway, I pull up to the bank, and this guy talkin on his cell sees my car (car looks nice from the side. Nice paint, and a nice side pannel kit that says 300ZX on it & is stainless steel). Anyway, I get out of the car and he asks if its for sale. I tell him I was getting ready to put it up for sale after I fix a few problems, but he asks how much I want for it and such. Anyway, hes gonna contact me later, and while my car is nice, I'm looking for a turbo version. I'd like to mod up a car this summer and give myself a little hobby.

Anyway, now I'm looking for a new turbo car with a little under 100k or so. I was wondering what exactly I should look for. I like the idea of the the "indistructable" transmission on the 87-89. I was wondering if I could get an exact month on when they started using the better transmission. I also know the 87's have a bigger turbo (t-3) while the 88's have a smaller turbo(t-25). The smaller turbo spools up faster, but does it have as much power. Which should I look for?

I also know that looking for a specific car can be... rediculous. I'd be really lucky if i were to find the exact car I was looking for. I'm pretty sure I'm looking for an 87/4-89. If anyone knows of a well kept car in that year range, let me know.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I do belive that the cars with different turbos are rated at the same HP from the factory, but sine the T-3 is larger, and therefore can make more power. You can turn the boost up with a boost controller, and make more power, but I'm sure that you already knew that. If you want to make more power with a factory turbo, go with the T-3. If you want the best car, and don't quote me on this (check on AZ_Zbum's site), you should go with the 4/87. I belive that it had the tranny that you're speaking of, it has the T-3 (water-cooled, I believe), and an LSD. Like I said, don't quote me on this, I might be wrong on a couple of things, and I sure somebody will be quick to point it out.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
All Turbo Z's manufactured after 4/87 got the LSD. 87's got the T-3 Turbo. All 87+ turbo's got the beefed up tranny (if so equipped). 88-89 had the T-25.
What I would look for is a 84 or 85 slicktop turbo 5-speed. It's the best of what the z31 came out with, sans LSD. But becuase I know you're not going to find one, read above.

Post Edited (Jul 9, 5:09pm)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what do you mean sans LSD? Slicktop = no T-top? Ive never even see a z31 of those. Why is it the best exactly? So all 87-89 cars got the beefed up tranny? (not just 87/4-89?) 88-89 got the t-25 tranny? I thought 87-89 had the beefed up tranny. Which is better? Ahhhh! I've been so misinformed. What do you think is a reasonable thing to look for? Do all 87+ have the z32 breaks? There is bound to be a site that has ALL of this information. Any idea where it is. Probably z31.com I'd like some further info though. I'll search z31 for a site with this info after work.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Whoops...I had to do a little edit quick. In the english language, sans means without. The reason for the 84-85 slicktops being the best, is that they have the lowest weight of any Z31 and the most rigid body. Sorry about the extra "tranny" typo.

Post Edited (Jul 9, 8:07pm)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a nice 1984 turbo for sale. 97,000 miles on it. Forced to sell.

I just bought a new car and the dealer did some research and he claims the Z is worth 7-8 K. Write to Des Moines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.