ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem w/ my 5 speed trans in my 82 280zx. I notice the problem when I change my manual trans fluild. When the car is in motion, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears won't shift in easy. Feel kinda like when you haven't shift all the way in and letting you clutch up. It used to be smooth shifting. I have a mechanice change the clutch and whole lot of others. Many thanks in advance.
JC

·
Registered
529 Posts
> I'm having a problem w/ my 5 speed trans in
> my 82 280zx. I notice the problem when I
> change my manual trans fluild. When the car
> is in motion, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears won't
> shift in easy. Feel kinda like when you
> haven't shift all the way in and letting you
> clutch up. It used to be smooth shifting. I
> have a mechanice change the clutch and whole
> lot of others. Many thanks in advance.
> JC

What kind of fluid did you use? I have used ATF in those trannys with much success. If the gear oil is too thick, the syncros don't like to work. If that doesn't work, you may need new syncros. I have rebuilt those trannys and its not that big a deal. Try the ATF first.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO NO NO. ATF is not good for a manual trans. It doesn't have the lubrication meant for a manual box DUHHHHHH. Doesn't have the sheer strength of an mtf. Think about it. Most likely, u put in too thick of a weight. Period. Do not run ATF in a manual box unless you want it to SEIZE or ruin it. MTL by Redline lubricants is good stuff. Get back under the car an do it right by spec. and everything will be alright.

·
Registered
529 Posts
> NO NO NO. ATF is not good for a manual
> trans. It doesn't have the lubrication meant
> for a manual box DUHHHHHH. Doesn't have the
> sheer strength of an mtf. Think about it.
> Most likely, u put in too thick of a weight.
> Period. Do not run ATF in a manual box
> unless you want it to SEIZE or ruin it. MTL
> by Redline lubricants is good stuff. Get
> back under the car an do it right by spec.
> and everything will be alright.

I beg to differ on the ATF. Many modern manual transmissions use it and I have never had a problem w/using it in a Z-Car transmission. If you consider that an automatic trans has gears just like a manual you will realize that ATF will not harm a manual. Also, the friction modifiers in ATF help the syncros lock up quicker. So there!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.