ZCar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm back with yet another question. My '78 has recently adopted an issue of getting into gear. Whenever I try to get into any gear (at a stop, while moving, whenever) while the car is on it's pretty difficult once the car has warmed up (the first few minutes are slightly better, but still not perfect). 3rd gear is especially difficult and most of the time it grinds once or twice before going in. The pedal itself doesn't seem to have any resistance until about 1/3 of the way through the pedal, which makes me think I need to just bleed the system (more on that later). This issue has been slowly getting worse over the past week and, after going to a local cars and coffee, it got so difficult that I grounded the car and I haven't driven it since in fear of damaging the trans.

I just now did a few cycles of bleeding on the clutch slave but that didn't seem to change much. The fluid is darker than standard clutch fluid, however, I've been told that that's just due to heat and moisture over time. With the recent bleed, it's changed back to normal.

I'm now thinking that either the master or slave cylinder has gone bad, however, I don't know how to check which one did. Is there any way of knowing which cylinder has gone bad? They're not too expensive so I don't mind just replacing both, but I might as well have the knowledge.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
how's the gear oil? make sure its got it and if it hasn't been changed in awhile, go ahead and do that.
usually when your slave and/or master goes bad, you can't shift into any gear. but if yours are starting to go out, and its letting you shift sometimes, probably a good sign to replace them. they won't break the bank. the slave is especially cheap. if you decide to replace it, get it OEM from Napa or Rockauto.com; I would not recommend autozone as I have had bad luck in the past with hydraulic parts for my own 280z that came from them.
keep in mind that the issue maybe inside the transmission, (bad gears or forks or whatever) however probably not likely. but like the cars, these things last if taken care of.

Bon

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I'm not entirely sure how I'd go about checking the gear oil. I'll put an order in on the slave cylinder tomorrow and get it replaced. If that doesn't fix it, I'll grab the mater and if that doesn't then I'll start diagnosing the tranny itself.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
When a slave cylinder goes bad, it visibly leaks brake fluid. If it isn't leaking, it isn't bad. The master can be bad without leaking.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figure there's no harm in replacing either of the parts so I have a slave cylinder coming in tomorrow and I may order a master tonight. However, I'm hoping to not have to replace the master since it seems like it's a pain in the ass getting under there and pulling that pin.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a similar sounding issue in my '77 5-speed. I could easily shift through the gears when the car was off, when on I couldn't get into 2nd or 1st. I'd have to start in 1st or 2nd and shift to 3rd. Taking corners was bad because I couldn't shift into 2nd. Long story short, bled the system, replaced slave, replaced master; that didn't work. Syncros were bad.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a similar sounding issue in my '77 5-speed. I could easily shift through the gears when the car was off, when on I couldn't get into 2nd or 1st. I'd have to start in 1st or 2nd and shift to 3rd. Taking corners was bad because I couldn't shift into 2nd. Long story short, bled the system, replaced slave, replaced master; that didn't work. Syncros were bad.
Yea, that's what i'm worried about. It's more than easy to get it into gear while the car is off, but after a few minutes of running it becomes an issue.

·
Registered
979 Posts
if the balk rings are bad I would think that close matching of the engine RPM to the input shaft RPM would make the problem go away. If you have a hard time putting in to 1st while at a stop I would suspect a dragging clutch from less then full disengagement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts