ZCar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The temperature gage and the oil pressure gauge in my ‘76 280Z suddenly stopped working. My first thought is a fuse has blown. However, I can’t find any mention of these gauges being fused. Any ideas?
Joe

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well, if you have referred to the wiring diagram, you see that the gauge's plug connection to the harness is the place to start.

What did you find?

·
Registered
19 Posts
They work intermittently now. I didn't do anything. Since they both go on and off together, I assume there's a single electrical connection involved.

·
Registered
183 Posts
They work intermittently now. I didn't do anything. Since they both go on and off together, I assume there's a single electrical connection involved.
Or a common ground possibly.

Service Manuals can be helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
Zs always ground at the sender

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Check the fuses at the fuse block with a test light, not an ohmmeter. Make sure that there isn't any rust on the pinch clips for them as well. Check the fusible links in front of the battery making sure that they are all clean and tight. Unplug the sending units and clean the connections thoroughly on both the sender and the wire end. Ground the wire end to the engine, turn the key on and the gauge should peg. Then do the end for the other sender. If the gauges peg then everything is good provided that your sender and the connection is good. If the gauges don't peg with the sender wire grounded then your gauge is suspect. Z man of Washington

Reactions: pilgrim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check the fuses at the fuse block with a test light, not an ohmmeter. Make sure that there isn't any rust on the pinch clips for them as well. Check the fusible links in front of the battery making sure that they are all clean and tight. Unplug the sending units and clean the connections thoroughly on both the sender and the wire end. Ground the wire end to the engine, turn the key on and the gauge should peg. Then do the end for the other sender. If the gauges peg then everything is good provided that your sender and the connection is good. If the gauges don't peg with the sender wire grounded then your gauge is suspect. Z man of Washington

Hi Zman, you able to help. My 260z 2+2 1976 hasn't run for 20 years. Got her running in the last few weeks now having electrical issues. Namely rhe temp guage.

Trying to ow your instructions, I've grounded the yellow wire to the sender and changed the sender with no positive results.

Onto the fusible links. Here's a picture of mine. One seems missing, the rest, what amp should they be?

Automotive tire Wood Gas Font Automotive wheel system

1 - 7 of 7 Posts