ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what kind of gas you guys use the 87,89,92 and does it make a difference in your cars performance? or is it better to get which one?
thanks
yuichi(81 280ZX)
p.s. i don't know cause my car is still sortav new

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
> I was wondering what kind of gas you guys
> use the 87,89,92 and does it make a
> difference in your cars performance? or is
> it better to get which one?

There's no reason to use anything but 87 octane in your Z, unless Nissan recommends otherwise ( which may or may not be the case, ) or unless you've modified it in such a way that a higher octane is required. For example, my Camaro is modified in such a way that it will self-destruct unless I use 92 octane, and I have to keep octane booster in the car at all times just in case I get a bad tank.

IMHO what is more important is the quality control performed by your supplier ( re. gas station, ) in the case of a normally aspirated stock Z.

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> There's no reason to use anything but 87
> octane in your Z, unless Nissan recommends
> otherwise ( which may or may not be the
> case, ) or unless you've modified it in such
> a way that a higher octane is required. For
> example, my Camaro is modified in such a way
> that it will self-destruct unless I use 92
> octane, and I have to keep octane booster in
> the car at all times just in case I get a
> bad tank.

> IMHO what is more important is the quality
> control performed by your supplier ( re. gas
> station, ) in the case of a normally
> aspirated stock Z.

> Doug Dawson
> [email protected]

I have a 75 280z and I run 89. I used to run 87 but it ran like crap and smoked alot. With the 89 it didn't. I havn't tried 92 yet.

Sam 75 280z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I have a 75 280z and I run 89. I used to run
> 87 but it ran like crap and smoked alot.
> With the 89 it didn't. I havn't tried 92
> yet.

> Sam 75 280z
I use 92 octane all the time, my car runs smoother with it, but gas can vary from station to station(translate-dirt,water).
I go to the same station all the time,got to know the owners,
and they let me know when deliveries are coming for gas, I do not buy gas then,filling the tanks stirs up all the crap from the bottom. you'd be surprised how dirty fuel is until it's had a chance to settle.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
While I'm not a chemical engineer, I do have some experience in manufacturing gasoline. Octane rating is nothing more than a relative measurement of the gasoline's ignition characteristics. The octane rating is controlled by blending easy to ignite hydrocarbons with harder to ignite hydrocarbons plus some additives. Low octane gas ignites easier than does high octane. In high compression engines, the gasoline ignites too soon and burns too fast as the piston is coming up to TDC. This produces a knock (sometimes called ping)which is usually heard on hard acceleration. (In the manufacturing process octane quality control is maintained by burning samples of the fuel in knock engines).

So... if too low an octane is used, you get pinging. Extreme pinging will damage the engine and rob power. If too high an octane is used, you get incomplete combustion and carbon buildup, which eventually leads to the need for higher octane fuel.

Bottom line is follow manufacturer's recommendations and use the lowest octane that will keep the engine from pinging.

Bob A.

> I was wondering what kind of gas you guys
> use the 87,89,92 and does it make a
> difference in your cars performance? or is
> it better to get which one?
> thanks
> yuichi(81 280ZX)
> p.s. i don't know cause my car is still
> sortav new

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.