ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently removed the gas tank from my 77. 90% of the tank is in great condition but there are a couple of large rust patches on the upper half. Do I need to cut these out and weld new metal in? How do I clean the tank out first before I let the sparks fly? Thanks for your help.

Scott

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
For around $80 I took my tank to a radiator shop that does Gas tanks too and they cleaned and re-lined the inside of the tank with a 2 part epoxy.

I just wouldn't even mess with trying to clean it myself.

Regarding the rust spots, are they all the way through? or just superficial?

Steve G

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I just soaked my tank in kerosean for a few days shook it up often. Some of my holes were all the way through. Took some steel apoxy and fixed the holes. Now the gas is as clean as it could get. Keep it full for awhile and run treatment through it to keep the water out. Sam 75 280z, 280zxt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
They Charged me $90-But Worth Every Penny

I agreed with Steve...once its boiled out and coated...not rust worrys anymore...thats worth it in my book, since I plan on playin' with my z for a long time.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Gas tank welding

I used to weld the gas tanks for some of our old trucks where I used to work as a mechanic. Everyone thought I was nuts, but it's not big deal. I would flush the tank with water several times. Put in a full bottle of dish washing liquid (so it loosens any residual gas) and fill it with water most of the way. Then shake it up some (try that with a 50 gallon tank!) and flush it until you don't get any more suds out. The trick to this is to stick a hose in and let it run for 10-15 minutes. It'll displace or dillute most of the soap until it's not noticeable. Then I always took a torch to it just to make sure it was safe. If anything is left (which it never was), it'll just go <ftt> so no need to worry. Then grind, cut, and weld your heart out. I used stainless rod so I didn't have to worry about my weld rusting later if water got in the tank. Hope this helps someone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.