Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 78 280 smokes all the time....
the exhaust smoke smells alot like gas, i've tried wekening the mixture and that doesn't work.
any suggestions?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> my 78 280 smokes all the time....
> the exhaust smoke smells alot like gas, i've
> tried wekening the mixture and that doesn't
> work.
> any suggestions?
check the fuel pressure, coolant temp switch
afm, is it fouling plugs? Joe

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i took the plugs out and llokd at them ...the have a black liquid all ovre the tips.
i'll look at those.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
> i took the plugs out and llokd at them
> ...the have a black liquid all ovre the
> tips.
> i'll look at those.
Matt,
Thoroughly cleanall your plugs before you re-instaall them. It sounds like you are gas fouling them. Once they are clean, start your engine and see if it still smells like gas. If so, you probably have a problem with your engine temperature sensor or thermotime switch/cold start injector. They are the two 2-wire sensors on the front of your thermostat housing. Start my removing the connectors at the sensors, cleaning them thoroughly with contact cleaner and a sharp scraping tool. Then follow the leads about 16 until you see a lump in the wiring. Remove the insulation because there are bullet connectors here where the sensors hook into the wiring harness. Pull them apart and clean them too.
After doing that see how the car runs. If you still have a problem it is time to get a service manual and start testing all the various components - or pay your local mechanic to do it for you.
Phantom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.