ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in western nebraska the price of the cheapest gas has been at $2.69 and higher for the past month. It got up as high as 2.95 a couple weeks ago. And all of it has ethanol. I can't find a gas station without it!!

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in Scottsbluff.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Slowly coming down here (Houston) from $2.48 for regular to $2.37 at a cheper off brand with and extra 3 cent discount - CITGO is the same.

Now about that ethonol = corn = Nebraska = lobbyists = agribusiness = tobacco =

these guys are not going to lose money no matter how many people quit smoking.

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
etanol sucks!

The ethanol thing sucks too.
I can't find a gas station here that doesn't have ethanol.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Is there anything you can add to the gas to get rid of the moisture that ethanol creates?

don't know of antidotes but ethanol is slowly destroying anything rubbery, buy stock in in tank fuel pump Co. n related paraphernalia

·
Registered
282 Posts
EDIT: as pointed out, ethanol serves several purposes, the primary of which is to act as a oxygenating agent, and also to raise octane.

Ethanol also assists in removing moisture from gasoline and your tank, unless it becomes saturated (where it will separate the fuel). It also increases octane, but decreases fuel density (thus lower gas mileage).

In newer vehicles, ethanol won't hurt anything because the seals and rubber are designed to handle ethanol.

Thus, older cars need refit for ethanol fuel, and then this is a non-issue because the higher octane can be beneficial for turbos, etc.

("Q: Will ethanol-blended fuel attract moisture to my fuel system?
A: All of today’s automotive fuel systems are closed systems and are less prone to attracting moisture. Ethanol absorbs moisture that is in a fuel system and carries it out in suspension as it is consumed. The most likely, and quite rare, cause for water in gasoline today would be from condensation in service station storage tanks. If the concentration of water in ethanol becomes excessive, it will separate and fall to the bottom of the fuel tank. When ethanol fuel is used in winter months, a fuel de-icer is not required. ")

·
Registered
336 Posts
Remember "drygas" that you added to your tank in the winter? That didn't remove moisture, it was actually isopropyl alcohol. It took the condensation moisture and allowed it to be in solution with the gas, brought into the engine and burned off with the gas. If it wasn't there you'd have a layer of water in your gas tank.

Ethanol does the same thing, it solvates water into your gas so it doesn't form a separate layer.

Hagerty did a study on E10 and classic fuel systems:

http://www.hagerty.com/lifestyle/hobby_article.aspx?id=55960

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
quit B&tching lol, gas got upwards of $4/gal a little over a year ago here in texas, and i buy premium :( so im VERY content with under 3/gal no matter what. If it makes you feel better, the kroger in mansfield close to my girlfriend's house was 2.48 for premium w/ the plus card. VERY good deal considering premium at the quik trip down the road was 2.76, they had REGULAR for 2.38, so i paid 10 cents more and got premium.

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Premium here is at $3.09 a gallon.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Premium $2.85 / gallon
Always go to a high volume place when gas is dropping in price.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
In my state its not the price its the tax that kills you. Washington is one of the highst in the United states but thats why we don't pay highway use tax. All due to the various large but forgiving taxes.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
we don't pay highway use tax.

you mean no tolls?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
8% sales tax on everything.

For Mississippi, it's called a "road and privilege tax": car tag based upon the value of the vehicle.

·
Registered
467 Posts
In Mass it is called an Excise tax. Comes out of city Hall Assessor's deparmtnt, then gets marked up and prevents u from re registering if you are delinquent

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.