ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and think I found the solution, but just want to check other possibilities too.

Car: 1986 300ZX NA 2+2 5 spd.

The problem: When driving in the city (generally around 20-30 mph) with the T-tops out, I can smell gasoline fumes at times and it seems to be affected somewhat by the direction of the wind. Does not happen with windows rolled up and tops in. Only have caught a whiff or two with just windows down. The smell is not like pure gasoline but rather the smell of the burst of air/fumes that sometimes comes when you take the cap off the gas tank and it releases pressure.

What I have checked: Injectors. NO and I mean NO injector leaks under the hood. Clean there and no fuel-type smell at all. Rear hatch seal "appears" to be okay, but am not sure how to determine if it is or not.

Could it be vapor return lines or something or should I just replace the hatch seal and see if that does it?

I know that fuel-related fumes inside the car is not good, but again the injectors are not leaking at all. I have checked them numerous times and never observed any fuel leakage whatsoever.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Roger

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
So does it smell more like gas, or exhuast?

I know I've heard of leaks in the evaporator line in the gas tank. And maybe your cap isn't holding the pressure anymore.

Also, are your rear quarter windows sealed?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I know it isn't gasoline leaking somewhere. No puddles or visual signs of that. So I suppose it could be exhaust. Guess I've never puposefully smelled the exhaust....

Cap does seem to be holding pressure as it does do the "fssshhht" sound when I remove it.

I guess I was wondering about the evaporator line in the gas tank since it doesn't smell like straight gasoline but kind of like gas vapor... if that makes any sense.

I know one rear quarter window was resealed, and I don't recall the other leaking when I've washed it.

I have noticed some dampness in the hatch area so I bet it probably is the hatch seal. That would also explain why it seems to be worse with a tail wind. I think I'll proceed with the hatch seal and consult my FSM on the evaporator line. Time to study and price hatch seals I guess.

Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
check your injectors, they are prone to leaking, and also known to cause fires once they do leak. i know you aren't seeing liquid, but gas burns easier when its vapor rather than liquid so its important that you check your injectors.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I agree. Check everything if you smell gas. About 2 months ago I could smell gas in my 86. Turned out to be the short gas line between the fuel rails. The one down under the back of the intake plenum. It's all better now.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay. Thanks. I will check all this weekend. Am driving my truck in the meantime -- way different sitting up in the air!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.