ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When trying to fuel up, I pressed the gas door handle to release the door and heard a snap. GREAT! Gas door will not open via release handle.

The car is a 1985 - 300zx. Short of using a prybar and damaging the body and the gas door or removing the interior of the car, is there a way to release the latch on the gas door? I took the speakers out of the car thinking that I could get to the release thingie, but the fender wells prevent this.

Thanks is advance,
KT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Three scenarios - - Latch release lever / cable broke at the seat, cable / connector broke at the splitter under the tool tray, or release broke at the gas door latch.

I'd first look under the tool tray. By operating the cable at that point you might be able to open the door. If it opens, then the problem is either with the latch release by the driver's seat or with the splitter. If not, then you'll have to take off the spare tire cover, remove the spare tire and follow the cable to the gas door. If the cable is loose, pull the cable back towards you. To disassemble, the plastic latch is pushed out from the inside after you press down the clips - - but that might not allow the door to open. Enough information to at least get you started - - good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I took the panel off by the seat and looke to see if the cable has come loose from the lever. It is attached.

It sounds like it is hitting something right behind the driver's seat. Is this where the splitter is?

Did not think of going through the spare tire. Thought I was going to have to remove the seats and the carpet to get to the blasted thing. Things are looking up.

Thanks,
KT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Open the hatch, lift up the carpet on the driver's side and remove the tool try. Underneath will be what I called the splitter. One cable comes in but two cables are operated - - one for the gas door and the other for the hatch. I think if you try to operate from there, you'll determine if the problem is before or after the splitter.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I had mine held together by a bread twistie (under the back carpet at the splitter that dbwz is referencing) until just recently when it crapped out on me, and the little catch by the gas cap also broke off. So I just removed the spring by the hinges on the gas door and it stays shut just fine. Kinda miss the lever thing, but oh well....

Roger

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. The twistie thing is great.... But, I have a 87 parts car that I got really cheap and the cable on that car works. I am hoping that we will be able to make mine work without having to go buy a loaf of bread. ;)

Now that I know where everything is (My 300zx car book seems to be hiding from me) I am hoping to get this one problem fixed right.

I did disassemble the spare tire and pulled on the cable and the door popped right open. Now to get dear hubby out there and help me get the darn thing fixed, since I have a knack for disassembling and not reassembling. :(

Thanks so much for everyone's help, and if I have any more problems, I will be back.

Oh, btw.... There are many parts on the 87 300zx (2+2) that will not work on my car, so if anyone needs anything, feel free to ask if it is still there. No the digital control box for the dash is already been removed.

It does have a good motor and tranny in it though along with rear end. I basically needed cosmetic interior parts for mine.
KT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.