Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was just wondering what kind of gas and sparkplugs to use. I like the hi tes gas because i get a little more power, but people have said that it could hurt my engine in the long run. and i am getting ready to change sparkplugs and was curios to which brand yall prefer.

thanks

JZ

·
Registered
482 Posts
> Hey all,

> I was just wondering what kind of gas and
> sparkplugs to use. I like the hi tes gas
> because i get a little more power, but
> people have said that it could hurt my
> engine in the long run. and i am getting
> ready to change sparkplugs and was curios to
> which brand yall prefer.

High test gas, should be used if required, but it won't hurt an engine designed for lower octane gas. But using low test (low octane) gas on a engine designed for high test (high octane) will have detonation problems. The way this works, is that the higher the octane rating, the LESS the gas wants to burn. This is to provide additional protection in higher compression engines that produce higher cylinder pressures/temperatures. The higher cylinder pressures/temperatures cause gasoline with lower octane ratings to spontaneously ignite, aka detonation. This is not wanted, as it can cause alot of parts to break. The way to keep the fuel from self-ignition, is to use a fuel that is less prone to pre-ignition. This is what high test gas does. It's just harder to ignite, unless triggered by the sparkplug, which is what you want.

As far as plug preferences, I use NGK. They are of excellent quality, and come in a wide assortment of heatranges to accomodate any L series engine. Sparkplugs all do the same thing, but some will last longer, and provide better spark, due to higher quality manufacturing and materials. This is why I choose NGK.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Hey all,

> I was just wondering what kind of gas and
> sparkplugs to use. I like the hi tes gas
> because i get a little more power, but
> people have said that it could hurt my
> engine in the long run. and i am getting
> ready to change sparkplugs and was curios to
> which brand yall prefer.

> thanks

> JZ

I just use reg. gas in my 240 and 280, they don't have a high compression so it's not needed.
As for spark plugs if you want a good reasonably priced one NGK is on, Silverstone's are good but cost more, splitfire's don't work worth a damm and don't last. Now for a juicy one, a plug called TorqueMaster, very expensive but they work real good and won't foul, don't need to be indexed as they use a ring and the spark is exposed to the gas at all times, I've noticed a def. low end power increase with these but at around 12.00 a plug ouch, they do hurt a wallet. They have a website if anyone is interested in trying them, I'd like to hear from someone else just to make sure I'm not seeing things after using them...:)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>can you post the website, i have got to change mine soon so i might as well give them a try.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Sure thing, give WWW.torquemaster.com a try.
Also if you want other's experience go to yahoo and type in torquemaster, it has some links to other forum posts about experiences with these plugs. Like some I've read I recomend a high voltage coil but I got good results with the stock coil but it does make a difference when I used a MSD 45,000volt coil with these plugs. Hope you like them.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Try these

Now for a juicy one, a plug
> called TorqueMaster, very expensive but they
> work real good and won't foul, don't need to
> be indexed as they use a ring and the spark
> is exposed to the gas at all times, I've
> noticed a def. low end power increase with
> these but at around 12.00 a plug ouch, they
> do hurt a wallet.

I would have posted this before, but I had misplaced the part number. there is an NGK plug that is a three electrode plug. It keeps the electrode exposed to the chamber as does the torquemaster. However, they are nowhere near the $12 a plug they are. If I remember right, they were about a dollar or so. They come in a silver box, and the part number is BP6RES. The part number might have been superceeded. NGK also makes some 4 electrode plugs, but I don't know if they make one in an application that will screw into the Z head, and work. I did notice a difference in with these plugs. And I was/am running a Crane Hi-6 with PS-91 coil. No slouch of a system.
-Bob Hanvey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.