ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so what was the deal with them setting up the brake and gas pedals like they did on the Z32 ??

Both my 510, and my 240 (and my '59 Morris, for that matter) had the pedals set up so that double-clutching down, while on the brakes at the same time, was a breeze. But without REALLY big shoes, and super-careful foot placement, a guy simply can't work them both on the 300 with one foot.

And to be honest, that takes away a **lot** of the fun of cornering, and downshifting in general with a manual transmission.

I have seen aftermarket pedals online, but was wondering what sort of experience people have had with them ?? I tend to wear shoes with lugged soles ( they all seem to come that way these days, unless you are Dave Marcis, that is ) so the idea of those pedals with all those macho nasty pointy projections seems....problimatic.

I have always double clutched by rolling the outside ball ( top) of my foot over onto the gas pedal, so that's where I need the extra pedal width.

Does anyone make a nice smooth wider aftermarket pedal set that's not too majorly ugly ??

Golly, a rubber covered one, just like stock, would be just fine.

Bob "Not having nearly as much fun as he might" J.

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
I have really wide feet, so heel-toe is as easy as putting 3/4 of my foot on the brake pedal and using the other 1/4 to blip the throttle. So instead of "heel-toe," it's more like "one-side-of-the-toe, the-other-side-of-the-toe."

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
even with my auto, i noticed the brake and gas were close. So my sasquatch feet are kinda all over the place

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whew Z1-Only : You must have REALLY wide feet !!

And like you said, it's not really heel and toeing , but rather the big toe, little toe instead.

I have size 9 1/2s, and the only way I can get a piece of the gas pedal is if I **carefully*** set the inner 1/5th of my shoe on the **very** edge of the brake pedal, and then roll my foot over.

And by the time I get that worked out......the moment is generally long past.

I wonder if they changed the pedal spacing over the years ??

I have an early 94 NA, and there is simply no way the pedals are as close together as they were on the 240s or 510s.

Yearning for "the full experience",

Bob

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
>pedals set up so that double-clutching down

Guys, he said he was double-clutching, not heel-toeing. Heel toe is an entirely different operation.

So why are you double-clutching your Z?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Hurray im not the only one that drives barefoot.

No better feeling than gripping the pedals with your toes

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Double clutching : The Joy of Sporty Driving.

(A continuation of the "Brake and Gas pedal" thread )

I double clutch ( when downshifting) in order to bring BOTH the engine speed, AND the internal speeds of componants in the transmission into syncronization with each other. This saves wear on the syncromesh rings, and puts less strain on other componants of the drivetrain as a whole.

Double clutching, as I am presenting it here, involves mindfully stopping briefly as you pass through neutral, letting out the clutch and giving the gas a buzz, in order to spin the gear cluster connected to the clutch up to the same speed as the gear cluster that is connected to the rear wheels. The clutch is then rapidly dissenguaged, and moved on into the intended gear.

Quite literally, one depresses and releases the clutch twice during the downshifting process, rather than once.

This spares the syncro rings the task of doing the same job (matching gear speeds in the transmission) , AND....not coincidentally, allows for a rapid downshift that does not strain the rest of the drivetrain, because the engine as well has been brought to a speed that matches what the road wheels would demand, given the particular gear and road speed.

Granted, when downshifitng like this, one does not get that sudden surge of engine drag, that some people use to help themselves slow down at stoplights. To my mind, that sort of usage really does eat clutches, and strains other drivetrain componants as well.

At the same time, when double clutching while downshifting in (or approaching) a corner, you also don't get that burst of engine drag eather. A burst of drag, and a resultant rapid shift of the mass of the car that can really upset the smoothness of the cornering process.

[ Some folks used to pull this move off with their toe on the brakes, and their heel on the gas ( hence the term "heel and toe" ) but in my experience, most people now simply roll the ball of their foot over to the gas, while using the other side of the ball of their foot on the brake. ]

My 510 and 240 both have shifters that are a bit more directly connected to the transmission than the 300, and when moving from the first clutching action on into the next gear, a proper double clutch will often cause the stick to feel like its connected to......absolutely nothing at all. No feel of the transmission moving through the syncros......no anything at all. Because of this.....you can often pull off a downshift smoother AND faster than if you had let the syncros do the work.

And when you can pull this off in the midst of a corner, while using the brakes at the same time......

Well, that's what I call the joy of "Sporty Driving".

"Old School" perhaps......but at 57, I got a right to that.

Now....if they had only put the gas and brake pedals a little closer to each other on the 300...

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.