ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 1999 Toyota Pre-Runner PU smog tested this morning and had a chance to ask the inspector (avery friendly guy)a few questions. I explained the Gas Analyzer that Moss Motors carries. I told him that it onlly measures carbon monoxide. He thought that it would be well worth the $201. He said it should work well for the Z cars because they tend to run rich and that contributes to carbon monoxide. He said if he had a Z, he would pay the $201. I called Moss Motors Tech. Advisor afterwards for an explanation of the analyzer's features. I asked his if it would work on the Z. He said it would work on any car with a tail pipe. I connects to the battery and there are hoses/tubes that fit into the tailpipe. Contact info: 1-800-667-7872 Customer Service, 1-805-681-3411 Technical Advisors
http://www.mossmotors.com/cgi-bin/db2www/mosmotors2/shop/Vi.../report?PlateID=914

Fingers are tired - web address is too long.
I am going to see if my wif will remove my project spending cap and purchase my early Christmas gift. If I happen to get it, I will post the results and my opinion of it. I will (oops would) play with it by using my colortune that I have not gotten around to using yet. This will probably be an overkill, but I just love gadgets. I am recovering from surgery, but back at work. This may be a good time to fake an ache or two and plead for this Christmas gift. Hope it doesn't backfire on me, because when I ache, she is very protective and tries to keep me from working on my Z. Ernest (240/260Z)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Don't be pushing your luck...

in the wife/slack department. These efforts can easily backfire as you note!

CO was the main emmission they were concerned about in the early 70s. If you get your CO under control, it goes along that HC is also ok.

I'd wonder about the long term accuracy of the thing. You can always calibrate it at any smog station by comparison.

Colortune is way cool cause there's not much to go wrong or drift. (Ordered me another one so I can set both carbs at once w/o stopping.) Dunno yet if the glass gets foggy over time. Kit comes w/ solution for cleaning the glass.

Keep us posted if ya try it!
Al

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Don't be pushing your luck...

I will keep you posted and thanks for all of your advice and support. Ernest (240/260Z)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.