Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes in California, I am pretty sure

This post was supposed to be response to another one and not a new topic. This info comes from the Nonresident Vehicle Smog Impact Fee Fast Facts handout drom the Department of Motor Vehicles in CA. Under "What Vehicles are Exempt?" it says "gasoline powered (model year 1974 or earlier)." Now even though this is in the Nonresident Vehicle Smog Impact Fee handout, I am almost positive that this is the case. Call DMV to be sure.
Later,
Tim Deesen

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
no,not in California

FYI guys:
The phamplet Tim D is referring to is for the impact extortion fee the state charges you for bringing in a NON-CA spec vehicle into the state. It's called an "offset" fee. and indeed, vehicles 1974 and older are not required to pay the fee ($500 for a 1980 Ford LTD, in case you wondered.)
This does not mean the vehicle is smog exempt, that is under another section. A 1974 Z will not fall off the smog program until 1 JAN 2004. 1973 and earlier are "exempt" now, and there was some ridiculous compromise to get that bill passed. After 2004, the 30-year "roll-off" will begin taking effect. 75's will roll off in 2005, 76's in 2006...
THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN NOT BE STOPPED AND ROADSIDE TESTED!!! If you fail a roadside test, YOU GO BACK INTO THE PROGRAM REGARDLESS OF THE AGE OF THE VEHICLE!!! See my old post "be afraid, be very afraid".
Check on Mountjoy's bill in the CA senate, it's more reasonable, but now with all the dyno$$$ invested, I don't think it will pass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.