Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just got two fuzzy window trims from Blackdragonauto. These are the ones that are attached at the top of the door panels.(the windows rub against them)
What't the best way to install these?
My old ones, have what looks like big staples holding them on. The new ones, don't have any provisions for installation. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
drill and rivet the new ones on. the "fuzzy" covers the rivets so they dont drag the glass surface at all. very easy

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ken_z Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what year Z? i got the best way to do 70 thru
> 78's...not sure what the 79-83's doors look like

I have a '76. What's the best way?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coyote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> drill and rivet the new ones on. the "fuzzy"
> covers the rivets so they dont drag the glass
> surface at all. very easy

The problem is the fuzzy trim is all one piece... wouldn't drilling and riviting go through the fuzz and scratch the window anyways? Unless the fuzzy part can be removed from the trim. I haven't looked at it that closely.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I attached my replacement fuzzies while I had the interior door panels off. I used 3M trim adhesive and held them in place while setup with C-clamps. Absolutely no problems after 3 years and any "extra" just peels off with you finger.

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
Take the Advice already given.

Pop Rivet them on. Just as Coyote said.

To do this you need to remove the panels from the car, and remove your old fuzzies. You then clamp the new fuzzies in place, drill some small rivet holes and pop rivet them in place with the HEADS on the fuzzy side, not the backside.

Yes, if you got something screwy going on, then it's possible they may scratch the glass. So can the stock staples.

Alternately if you have an Arrow T-50 Staple Gun, you can use a 3/8" staple and ram it through the sheetmetal same as stock, then bend the staple over and peen them. It gives about .020" more clearance than a Rivet head, but doesn't hold them in place long-term any better, and probably quite a bit looser than using the Pop-Rivets.

I riveted mine in 1985, and to this day I haven't scratched the glass yet. Same vendor as you got yours from...
Done countless others for people since, always with small headed pop rivets.

If you are REALLY paranoid, you can get plastic pop rivets...but good luck finding them!

·
Registered
694 Posts
i took stainless steel safety wire and drilled holes through the fuzzies and the door panel(door panel removed) and then took a few inches of the wire and put it through like a staple but then took the lose ends on the back side and took my safty wire pliers and twisted the ends and then trimmed and make sure you bend them flat next to the door panel... you have to use ss wire otherwise it will just snap when you twist it.

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
Milbar notwithstanding...

Those of us with a Milbar Safety Wire Pliers and spools upon spools of Milspec 0.030, 0.041" safety wire now go "D'OH!"

I had even more available when I did mine with PopRivets in 1985. Good, nice, free from the USA Government F-15C grade Safety Wire!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I simply used felt weatherstripping I bought from Ace hardware. I paid $10 for an 12 foot strip. It has an adhesive backing, but I used superglue in conjunction with the adhesive. I removed the old felt, pushed the stock staples flush with the old rubber, and attached the weatherstripping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.