ZCar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 1-owner (before me) '78 black pearl all-stock 280Z that has about 80K original miles on it and is in near mint condition. I drive it about every 3 months to enjoy it and keep things "moving" and pliable. I'm religious about inspecting it, routine maintenance, etc. In the next 15-20 years, if it continues to maintain its operational integrity, etc., I will give this car to my oldest son to keep the legacy alive. He's a tinkerer and car lover like I am, so I have little doubt he will take good care of her.

So, my question to the gurus assembled here is, what parts/pieces might this thing need over the next say 40 years that would be unavailable then but are available now? I know this seems uber-optimistic, but if I'd like to stockpile some parts that I or my son might need to keep this jewel in good shape. I know there is no way to predict breakages and failures, but if I can spend a bit now and have things if/when they wear out or break, it would be worth it. I already have a complete set of new exterior emblems I've collected, but I'm more concerned about stuff under the hood, around the suspension, etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like a cool car.

I’d focus on consumables. Things that will have to be replaced no matter what. Much of the rubber on the car might be a good start. Bushings, seals, weather stripping etc.
The next thing would be items that are already obsolete. ECUs, AFMs, relays and electrical switches. You might want stuff for the engine like timing chains, chain guides, bearings etc.
I have a good stockpile of the electrical stuff and a spare motor that I’ll rebuild and keep on the sideline.
When you get your list post it and see what folks on here think? Lastly never throw anything away if you can. Throw it in a box and you never know when it will come in handy later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts