ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to why one of the links would melt or burn. The car used to shut off everytime i would turn the lights on. The alternator went out and i replaced it. I went to jump the car with jumper cables. Both cars were shut off and before i could turn the working car on the link started to smoke. It was the link at the end to the right (toward the front of the car). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thans a bunch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,829 Posts
Got a question, did the car ever have a big amp with the power leads to the battery? If so that is why the link went bad, if you follow the wire it goes under the square cover with an inlind spade lug connection and to the battery and the other end to the alternator.
When you start pulling allot of Amps off the battery the alternator begins to compensate, when the current gets to a point the fusable links start getting hot and burn. After this goes on for a while, the link starts getting coorosion on the spade lugs and dont make good contact, and high resistance. As the resistance goes up the current goes up to keep up with demand. That is the most common reason I have found for that link to start burning. and if it melts the wire down, then you have a dead short some where because that wire is directly off the battery then to the fusible link then to the spade lug connector under the big square cover and then to the alternator. So check it out and make sure all the connectors are alright and fix them if they are not.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top