ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a better wiring diagram for a 76 280z.
My Haynes diagrams suck. I need a
microscope just to see it. Any better ones out there?

My flasher fuse blows every time I start the car.
I've disconnected everything (I think). Turn signal
switch, flasher relay, hazard relay, hazard switch.
The fuse blows with everything disconnected!
I'm lost and now I can only drive straight...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pull the fuse block off the passenger side of the car. It's possible something has melted behind and is shorting out that circuit. Those blocks get very very hot and have a tendency to melt. Somewhere on the WWW is a FAQ on how to bridge all the inputs together to make better connections and lower the resistamce. Can anyone help with the URL?

Steve G

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a book out there called "How to restore your Datsun Z-Car" or soemthing like that. I have it... It's available in the "Zcar.com Bookstore" (amazon.com i think)... It is a kick as book, that has EXCELLENT diagrams of the entire car down to the washer.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ANOTHER good url for the FAQ!

Keep them coming and we should have an answer for everything pretty soon!
Thanks for finding that one MadManAdam

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wiring diagram

took my haynes wiring diagram to office depot and blew it up to fit 17' x 11' paper (think 160%), then had it laminated cost like 3 bucks and it's great

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: wiring diagram

I scanned the one for my 72 out of hanes and blew it up to 24x36. Very easy to read and still clear. If you dont have a scanner, take it to Kinko's

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<b>RE: Fuse blown...Better wiring diagram?</b>

Hmm...I have a factory manual for my '76. Does it happen when you turn the key to ON or to START? That would help me find what your problem might be. I took a hard look over the schematic and there are some strange things mixed into the blinker circuit. First off, the power first goes thru the Hazard Switch, this selects the mode for the blinker bulbs, and also which of the two flasher units gets used. If you have unplugged the hazard switch and had the fuse blow then you have some other weirdness happening. From what I can tell the schematic also shows a connector using the same fuse labeled "TO COOLING FAN MOTOR SUB-HARNESS" note that this is not the same as the environmental fan motor. I believe this was for California versions only, although it doesn't state that. Anyway...here's the weirdness. The power from the same fuse also goes forward to the condenser, voltage regulator, to thru C-13 to Automatic transmission switchs(kickdown and top gear.) If unplugging the hazard switch doesn't help, try a new voltage regulator also, or unplugging C-13 in the engine compartment. If this stirs any new questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the ideas. The voltage regulator is new.
That's what snapped and caused all my original problems. I think the "ON" position is what triggers
the blowout. I'll investigate further this weekend with
a brand new pile of fuses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.