Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to start:
I have a 77 280Z I just rebuilt the enginge about 400 miles ago. With some advice from this sight I almost have the car running perfect, but when I try to accelerate slow to medium the car is not smooth and seems to be lacking power. Under hard acceleration the car pulls great it seems like a totally different car. When the engine is cold it runs great but as soon as it starts to warm up the accelaration problem starts. I know I should by a FSM but to be honest I am planning on selling the car this winter(finding friends who will let me use their garage is becoming difficult) so I am trying to get it running correctly so I can sell it with a good conscience.
Thanks for all your help
Marty

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hows your transmission? How bout your clutch. If it's not those things, then you obviously have vacume leaks, or a gasket is warned.

If all else fails your distributor could be shot... Or need adjusting.

·
Registered
196 Posts
JetBlack82 wrote:
>
> If all else fails your distributor could be shot... Or need
> adjusting.

i'm not contradicting you, just asking for my own knowledge, but:

wouldn't a bad distributor give a pisspoor accelerating even when flooring it?

-Donald (76 280z)

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you said it was rebuilt, I think your valves need adjusting. This is what was happening with my car. After a cold start, it ran fine until it warmed up. It must have to do with the metals expanding or something like that.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
what about dirty injectors

I have another fuel injected car which is only EFi and injects over the throttle body and you can visiblby see that the flow on the injector is bad and it puddles up on the butterfly. I had very poor mid range exceleration.

fuel injection cleaner helped me alot

·
Registered
157 Posts
Actually no, I drove from Las Vegas to Peyson Arizona (north pheonix) on a bad distributor. The only way I survived from overheating my engine is by racing my engine at high RPM's. When I had to slow down to a stop I would turn the engine off until I had proper take off room.

It was just a suggestion most likley it was some kind of tuning nothing bad, I'm no mechanic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.