ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. here is the deal. I have been trying to track down a funky idle for months now. So what I am going to do is list done that so maybe someone will spark.
I have changed plugs, cap, rotor, set timing to spec, new injectors, all harnesses and connections changed or cleaned, plug wires, alternator, vacumm lines, and put a K & N on. What she is doing is an erratic idle that almost completly smooths out when below 40 degrees. Also when hauling ars on MoPac I smell strong exhaust when decelerating. I was getting a puff of gas smoke in second ( while punching it ) but that has gone away. Could have been burning crap off with new stuff. But anyway I noticed the mass air meter has been opened and resealed on the little compartment on side. Does anyone have a clue before I have to grab my ankles at the Nissan dealership.
Thanks, RC

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Year?

How is your distributor? Check for play in the shaft bushings. This can cause idle-funkytitis.

If FI Z, could be an intermittent in one of your sensors or AFM/MAF. Check that connection to ECM/ECU/CPU is clean. Use dielectric grease on all connections (even ECU). Could be a bad sensor, that is partially functional (thinking AFM air temp sensor, or head temp sensor). Sensor may only work well in a certain temperature range. Check TPS for proper operation. Triple check all vacuum lines, fittings and seals. You may have a leak only at certain temp ranges (heats up, air rushes in your dipstick tube? crack opens up in the bottom of your crank breather hose...). Dunno.

If you are carb'd, I have no additional advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.