Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I want to supercharge my NA so I'm gonna need more fuel.

I've got some 444cc Skyline injectors, a Z32 pump and a SAFC, but what ECU should I use?

Can I just plug in a Tubo ECU ?

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks for ya help...

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Standalone?

Email Ryan87 at Z31.com. He's the only person that I know that's done it beofre and I'm sure he'd help you out there.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
First of all, when you say that a stand alone will be expensive you are right, but... If you are going to use that Eaton M-62 blower on the top of youre engine, isn't that going to be ridiculously expensive. Who is going to make youre custom intake to bolt that to the top of your engine. Not to mention the custom crankshaft pulley and belt guides you will need to route the belt and drive the blower. Dont forget the new hood you will need to allow room for the Roots type blower sticking at least 7inches from the surface of the hood. Do you want it intercooled?? Well a custom Plate type water/air intercooler will be your only option, Im sure that will be REAL CHEAP to have made!! I hope you are getting the point. Why dont you at least remove the air conditioning, and try to use a Centrifical supercharger? (Paxton, Vortec,.. ect) This way you will have only supercharger brakets, and a pulley to worry about, and the intercooler can be accomplished just like a turbo system, with an air/air setup. I would'nt want to limit the power output of my car by having only one preset boost level.(at least without a pain in the ass pulley change, that can't be performed on the highwat at speed) Give me a turbocharger.

Post Edited (Mar 22, 8:06am)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK,

I dont have AC... I'm in the UK ... It's cold here anyway!

I might end up using a Centrifugal supercharger....

My question is about FUELING.

I have to check out any cheaper options before I spend a load of cash.
what about just running a turbo ECU with turbo injectors in a supercharged NA ?

Post Edited (Mar 22, 8:15am)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK...

I can understand the befits of turbos and I have considered them...
but if I can supercharge a Z31 it would be the only one in the UK.

I'm not trying to do it on the cheap... I have money... But I don't want to waste it.

Let me worry about the set-up...

Does anyone know if you can run a turbo ECU with turbo injectors in an NA ?

Thanks,

Post Edited (Mar 22, 8:32am)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Ok, now you sound realistic!! Anyway, I would not use the turbo ECU because the supercharger is going to require a differant fuel/ignition map than the turbo. I would go stand alone to do it right. If not, You can get an additional injector controller, and use it with a Rising rate fuel regulator. SDS makes a nice one. www.sdsfi.com Good luck! Z-ya

Post Edited (Mar 22, 8:28am)

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
88hybrid wrote:

> Ok, now you sound realistic!! Anyway, I would not use the
> turbo ECU because the supercharger is going to require a
> differant fuel/ignition map than the turbo.

ummm... no it won't. The Z31 ECUs are linked to the AFM and Injector sizes. I'm guessing you aren't in the middle of this project, so by the time you actually get around to it, Ashspec may be in production of their Z31 version of the Zemulator. Which will allow pretty much full control of the ECU so you would be able to input your own parameters. But this will require you to sit with a PC/Laptop on a dyno to get everything tuned properly.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I assumed The superchargers boost response, flow map and outlet temps would require a slightly differant map ( I know if you put them on the dyno and tuned both to max torque the maps would be differant.) I am working with a MAP now and forget that the MAS is a bit more forgiving of slighter differances than what I deal with in the MAP world!

Post Edited (Mar 22, 8:42am)

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
88hybrid wrote:

> I assumed The superchargers boost response, flow map and outlet
> temps would require a slightly differant map ( I know if you
> put them on the dyno and tuned both to max torque the maps
> would be differant.) I am working with a MAP now and forget
> that the MAS is a bit more forgiving of slighter differances
> than what I deal with in the MAP world!

Stock ECU doesn't read temperatures.

You don't calculate anything by boost curves. It's all about achieving the appropriate air/fuel mixture at that instant based on air available and fuel needed.

And if you're using absolute manifold pressures, then it doesn't matter either. You still tune for the injector sizing and RPMs based on manifold pressures.

Air is air is air.

Why do you think the maps work whether you are boosting or not?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The way I see it ( & I could be wrong ) is that Supercharger kits are generally 'bolt on' kits. you don't necessarily have to change anything else on the car if you're running that kind of low boost... however, if you want to make the most of you SC you will need more fuel...

With stock NA injectors ( 160cc ), stock ECU and SAFC ( +50% ) I can still only run up to 240cc injectors... 20cc sort of stock turbo injectors = LAME !

So unless I can run a turbo ECU ( which would allow me to use up to 390cc injectors ) I'm gonna have to go with a standalone unit.

Lucky I didnt pay for my Skyline injectors.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If boost charicteristics, and airflow determine a fuel map, which they do, (not just a base map) Wouldnt two differant power adders require differant maps. Sure the base map would not be too much differant, but the linear maps could in fact be quite differant. A-zbum, I think we are on the same page, all I am saying is that a t-25 does not flow the same air at the same psi, at the same temps. that an eaton blower, which flows a larger amount of air at lower manifold pressures, at lower rpms, at a higher temp due to the ineffeiciances of a Roots type blower. Wouldnt you increase fuel in those areas that are differant than those in the turbocharged map. I guess a NIssan computer which under full throttle goes into a "blind mode" and dumps as much fuel into the engine as needed, and as long as your injectors were big enough to supply fuel. My stand alone requires that I set all parameters of the base, and linear maps. Agian, What your saying is also correct, as long as the turbo, and the supercharger have similar airflow charicteristics, and cfm. I also realize that the nissan ecu does not read temps, but if a turbo delivers (these are hypothetical numbers) 400 cfm of air at 10psi at 230 degrees , and the supercharger delivers the same 400 cfm at 10 psi, but does so at 245 degrees, wouldnt you have a bit more fuel, and a slightly retarded ignition timing value as to compesate for the extra heat? Agian the only way to tell is on a dyno.

A-zbum wrote:
You don't calculate anything by boost curves. It's all about achieving the appropriate air/fuel mixture at that instant based on air available and fuel needed.
I didnt say that you do, but boost curves do play a part on avalible air, at a given compressor rpm(boost), at a given temp, .I mean when your inlet temps are hotter the amount of oxygen in the fuel mixture is less therefore richening the mixture. All that does play a BIG part in fuel mapping.

Post Edited (Mar 22, 2:10pm)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.