ZCar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

Installing a new fuel sending unit (top loader for a '78 280z) but don't remember which direction the arm is supposed to face when installing it,

When I try and drop it down in the tank, I keep bumping the internal bits in there and once almost ran out of gas because the arm must have been jammed up against something in the tank which ended up holding the arm all the way up denoting a full tank.

Any idea which way the arm is supposed to face once installed in the tank (toward the front/left/right/rear of the car)?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's the picture of the fuel gauge unit from the FSM for a 78.

I hope this helps with the orientation of the fuel level arm

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was hoping the top plate was keyed in such a way that there was only one orientation, which you could then use as a basis to know if you installed everything correctly.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Ah contrair. The sending units on the first and second gen cars are all timed. Look at the pic that Yokozumi put up. Specifically the top plate on the left side you'll see a small cutout on the lip. It's about 3mm across. Then look next to the hole for the sender in your fuel tank. You'll see a tab that is about the same width. Line those up and away you go. By the way, one of my vendors rebuilds the tank senders for just about every type of older vehicle. It's not cheap, but they do a fantastic job. Been using them for 15 years at least without a gliche. Z man of Washington

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah contrair. The sending units on the first and second gen cars are all timed. Look at the pic that Yokozumi put up. Specifically the top plate on the left side you'll see a small cutout on the lip. It's about 3mm across. Then look next to the hole for the sender in your fuel tank. You'll see a tab that is about the same width. Line those up and away you go. By the way, one of my vendors rebuilds the tank senders for just about every type of older vehicle. It's not cheap, but they do a fantastic job. Been using them for 15 years at least without a gliche. Z man of Washington
Thanks for the info got it in by lining up that tab so all set. By the way, if you're looking to save some cash on your builds, zcardepot now sells new sending units for the 77/78 cars for $80:

Fuel Tank Gauge Sending Unit Sender 280Z 77-78

1 - 7 of 7 Posts