ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Yes, the new one looks completely different from the old Fuel Sending Unit because the original Fuel Sending Unit design fails on 80% of the z31's that were produced (I'm making the 80% up but from what I've seen...)

I bought the new Fuel Sending Unit from courtesyparts.com and instead of being cylindrical it had to rocker arms (one for the main fuel gauge and one for the 1/4 tank guage?). IT WORKS GREAT! Just make sure that you note the position of the position of the original FSU before you unscrew and remove because you want to put the new FSU in properly. I beileve the proper direction is "left" if you are facing the front of the car from the back where you would be installing the FSU.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I was talking to a tech at the dealership and he said it doesn't matter which way it's pointing!! and went on to mumble for 15 minutes how those things work and it turned out my was on crack and I have one that should be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
LOL, his "Fuel Sending Unit" was on crack.

Thanks for the info! It makes me feel better to hear that it doesn't matter which way it is pointing because I tried my best to put it in correctlty but was not sure if I succeded! FSU is working great though.

Sad when you get jazzed up about your gas gauge working! After five years of not having it though I'm damned excited.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet at some point and get a new FSU, too. Mine goes to empty at less than 200 miles, although it appears the gallons-left function does work on the FSU. Mine isn't on crack, it just is lazy I guess.

Roger

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
the fuel sending units are under 100 bucks too. Im going to buy one in the next few weeks. how long did it take you to change?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
sportdriverGT,

The job didn't take any time at all.

You have to pull up the back carpet which is simple. Underneath the carpet there is a cover plate with 2(?) screws that you must remove. Under that is what looks like a second plate which the old FSU is actually attached to. It has 6(?) screws.

Before you pull the old one up and out get a shop vac and if there is any dirt around the second plate vacuum it all up well because you don't want it to fall into the gas tank. There was a good deal of dirt around mine.

Also, have a rag handy because it will be covered in gas. For God's sake don't smoke or have open flame and cover the open hole as you will have an open hole to your gas tank!

The new FSU (which is drastically different in apperance) has to be maneuvered in but it isn't difficult either. Reattached screws, put carpet down, and you're done.

30min-1 hr max.

I didn't think having a gas gauge was a big deal but after 5 years it was really starting to get to me! It was worth the $75.

Post Edited (Mar 31, 11:29am)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
stu, thanks for the advice, if I get blown up Im gonna come haunt you though :)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
the Shiro is what needs the new sending unit. so Ill be extra careful not to blow it up.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
unplug battery and once you remove the carpet you should be done with the sending unit job after 6 minutes axactly :)
seriously it's very easy!!!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
wow forgot about the battery thing. thanks for reminding me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.