ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of designing a billet fuel rail for my '78 280. I would appreciate any input, but the question I have is this: If I mill fins into it will this shed or collect heat? I plan ti insulate the plate between the exhaust and intake with some material which should reflect a lot of heat and wrap my headers.

Thanks in advance,
Cliff

·
Registered
94 Posts
Milling fins into any surface will increase the available surface area for heat to dissipate from. Increased air flow across the fins would keep the rail cooler. However, milling fins will also allow a place for all the crap to collect and might just null any effort you put in place. You might need to ask yourself if the benifit is that great as to go through the effort in the first place and then to keep it clean in the end.
I would love to see your finished product when your done.
Good Luck,
Jerr

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I found some "D" shaped aluminum tube but was wanting the finned look too. What were you going to do with the other things like the small coolant tube? would you keep the section infront of the head?? I want to eliminate as much clutter from the top of my engine, so egr's gone, and I want to get rid of all those vaccume lines too, but then what do I do with the hole every inch along the length of the plenum, consitering I have no connections for aluminum welding, I can't just weld grind. Where were you going to put the presure regulator? I was thinking about locating it back by the fuel filter on the return line, which I'd run into the rail right beside the in line, in an effort to get rid of another bit of clutter. If you get yours done before me, I want some pics!!

Dylan
Calgary

·
Registered
571 Posts
We all understand more surface area transfers heat and cool better’
Surface area can also be accomplishes by utilizing a tube with a larger OD.
So if you have pipes twice the Outer Diameter you have created a heat sink.
Also remember with this, they can accumulate heat as well as disperse heat.
When cooling rails I would search out the elusive injector fan deep intake fan extension.
These seem to have for some reason been placed on very few fans, the most common fan just sucks hot heat from the engine bay as extended inputs pull from down next to the road. You want to keep your tubing looking great all the time so pick a color and have them anodized, don’t even think about painting them. Remember fins can attract heat from the engine bay if not cooled, this would not help but harm. I’m going to connect my injector fan to run with the car just for kicks as well.

Madeline Michele
Hollywood, FL

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well Craig that sure is a nice rail.

But I hope people don't put it in such an ugly engine.
<http://www.zcarcreations.com/images/idealz/products/rail/Image002.jpg>
You would think the rail maker could of found a better model.
That looks very odd.

I hope most people understand a new super cool rail needs to go with a pretty engine.
If you know the guy have him send me a free rail and maybe I will let him model it on one of my Z cars.
<http://www.geocities.com/enchantedspatula/moremadengine.htm>

God am I stuck up or what?

Madeline
HWD, FTL

·
Registered
571 Posts
Don’t think so Silver.

What you are looking at is a perfect engine with less than 36K miles.
Lets see you spray some engine, lets gamble and say your engine and see if you can come up with anything close to my cars. If you look close you will see perfect screws and just about everything. I always use snap spray on my engines. Don’t even think about down playing the decades of care I have placed in my cars. So you spray your engine and show me how easy it is. When it comes to aesthetics of a ZX , I am without any question the finest authority. My cars have engines that look just like your Haynes book if not even more true to form. I have every position filled with the exact clips, ties and the whole shebang. You need to humble yourself and learn from me rather that write off my expertise as something devoted to a can of something or another.

Madeline Michele
Holywood, FL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.