ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

My 1980 ZX is parked for the winter, but I go to start it a week ago, it turns over but ain't running. After a little checking I noticed the fule pump not turning on. piss me off.

Anyways, what would you guy replace it with? a used one from the wreckers which is easy to get, or a new one from a local parts store? the one from Nissan is $485, so I ain't getting that one.

I havn't really spent a lot of time on it, so it may be electrical - or some fuse, as the battery drained dead over a 2 month period, after a recharge is when it would not run anymore. It ran fine before and never had any weird problems or acting up replated to the running of engine.

later

G

·
Ryan,

I hope I don't steer you in the wrong direction, but I would look into other factors before I changed the fuel pump. I just don't see many posts of people replacing them. I wouldn't describe the pumps as indestructable but not many replace them. I would check relays and connections.

Also, if you let the battery go completely dead there is a good chance it will cause some problems down the road. If it does not respond to a good charge (from a battery charger) you might want to replace it or you will probably be having alternator problems soon.

If it comes down to having to change the pump I would go with a used one from someone who was parting out their Z. The parts and accessories section is full of them. Good luck. John

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not think it is a battery problem. I have a dry cell optima battery. It charges very well and it has been fine. ( I will test it at a local shop sometime soon just to make sure , it has a 6 year warranty anyways ).

I am thinking connection or relay too. but if I do have to replace it, I think I will try a used one from a wreckers first - $10.

ryan

· Registered
16 Posts
I have been tracing a starting problem on my 79 (its very frustrating). To check your fuel pump for operation, pull the ignition wire (about 16 gauge) off the top of the starter. Next turn the ignition like you were going to start the engine (it wont turn over) but you should hear the pump running behind the passenger seat.

Some other things I have tested is the fuel check valve to be sure the pressure is being maintained in the fuel lines when the car is off. You can get a pressure gauge and see that the fuel pressure is 45 psi after the car has been sitting for awhile. This check valve threads into the bottom of the pump and comes with the pump.

I also checked the cold start injector. To do this, disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. Take the cold start injector out of the intake manifold (leave the fuel line on it). Put the end of the injector in a jar to catch the fuel. Take two jumper leads: run one from the negative post of the battery to one lead of the injector, one from the positive post of the battery to the other lead on the injector. You should get fuel from the injector.

That is as far as I have got. I did replace the fuel pump but wasted my money as I could have checked it in the method I described above. It was $45 from my local used Z parts place. My son who is into Nissan stuff says I may need to replace my ECU but I am still checking other sensors and stuff before this.

Good luck and if you find the answer let me know as it is probably similiar to my problem.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.