Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hidey ho!

I need to replace the fuel pump in my ZX ASAP (horrendous noise comming from that direction).
Anyways...i need to know if i need to drain the tank when i do it....and is there anything i need to be aware of before i start?

Thanks Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you don't already have a Haynes (or other) manual, I would recommend that you buy one. You can pick one up at AutoZone, Pep Boyes, etc. for about $12. An empty tank would be ideal, but you can try to clamp the hose. I guess the biggest help I can provide is to tell you to tell you to release the pressure from the fuel system prior to disconnecting hoses. (on '82 and '83 you disconnect wiring harness under back carpet area, then let the car run till it dies.) You should also replace the hoses running to the pump at the same time. Good luck and go buy a manual if you don't have one.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It is really easy. I do not follow the guidlines from the book for relieving pressure, pain in the butte. If you go out in the morning before it has been started, it should not have pressure. If you have driven it and it has pressure, I pull the line off of the filter with a rag to stop the shot of fuel. It can get in your eyes, so be careful, it hurts. Anyways, do not drain the tank, no need, just get a big #3 phillips or other big bar and when you pull the hose off the fiilter, shove that in the line, it will seal it fine without clamps and waste little gas. Expect to shower afterwards, you will smell like gas. Make sure you look at Pos and Neg, they can be reversed and then you pump into the tank instead of out of it.
Joshua L.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.