ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas on what makes the fuel pump relay (behind the glove box) shut my fuel pump off?

It use to happen on hot days, after driving for a while. I would hear a click or even a bunch of clicks. Every time I heard the click, (usually when I pressed the gas pedal) the car would die. I thought that if I released the pressure from the tank by opening the gas cap, that might help. It did work for a while. Then I had to release the pressure by pulling off the fuel filter and blowing it out. That worked for a while too. Now when I try to start the car, the relay behind the glove box clicks. When it clicks, it shuts the fuel pump off....
dead car. By the way I have a '83 280zx turbo that I REALLY want to drive this summer.
Things that I have tried.
-new fuel filter
-new fuel pump
-new pressure regulator
-replaced the relay behind the glove box

It didn't take any time at all to realize that a hundred here and a hundred there is not the way to go. Some things that I haven't been able to try.
-cleaning the tank
-checking the fuel damper
-cleaning or replacing the fuel injectors
-replacing the other fuel pump relay? (is there one? where?)

Where do I start?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Long shot here but if It's at all like my 78 then the oil pressure sender could be bad. On mine there are two terminals, one for the guage and one for the fuel pump relay. When it gets grounded it shuts off the fuel pump.

-trevor

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
The non turbos have a fuel pump relay in the black box in front of the right front strut tower.

The fuel pump relay on the non turbos will shut down the pump when it senses that the engine is not running. I believe it determines this from the ignition system (older models had a little switch in the AFM). The turbo models probably determine running status the same way, but of course the turbos use a crank angle sensor instead of magnetic pickups in the distributor.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
It could also be the Fuel Pump Controll Module, it is a seperate Controll Module that monitors fuel pressure, it is located above the Main EFI Controll Module. I had trouble with mine similar to what you described, I changed my Fuel Controll Module and some of the problems went away, however I also had a bad pressure regulator causing other wierd problems, I was able to get the Fuel Controll Module out of a junk yard for $20.00.

Scott Milella

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.