ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing my fuel pump on wednesday, and I need to know what to buy before I crawl under the car. I know I should just get under there instead of asking here, but the time I get to raise my car is precious. To the question: What do I need to have in order to complete the job? How much and what kind of fuel line, clamps etc?

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Fuel Pump Questions</b>

Joe, are you changing the pump with a rebuilt or stock replacement, or are you changing it with an aftermarket type unit. The ones from Airtex and Borg-Warner(blackstone) are too long to fit in the stock location and neither come with a screen to filter out the rust particles from your gas tank. In any case, the primary feed off of your tank is a 12mm line, which can only be gotton from a Tractor trailer service center(usually meant for diesel fuel lines). Or you can use Earls brand hose at $20.00 per foot. All of the other fuel lines are 5/16" line that you will need about 3 ft. of. You should not reuse the old clamps, so get about 12 of them(Ideal worm clamps work OK for me). Take your fp assy down and replace the hoses from your dampener also while you're at it. If you discover that while using an non factory style fp that you main fuel line bend is too tight, go to a hardware store and purchase a 90 degree bend of copper tubing in 1/2" size(this is what you extra clamps are for). Good Luck and let us know how you made out! BTW, NO Z in my area is immune to a gas tank getting full of silty rust particles that eventually burns your pump up, so buy a new pump that carries a lifetime warranty!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told that it is bad to use the worm clamps on fuel injection sytems because of the pressure they cut into the hose and will start leaking. I've already experienced this problem. You need to use fuel injection clamps they cost about $1 a piece from NAPA. My Dad was picking up a car from Nissan and looking at a 280zx with the Aerokit II from motorsports and they said it was there because of fuel problems and it also had worm clamps. Nissan said that the worm clamps are usually the problem on the fuel injection cars they get in. You also need to get fuel injection fuel line it will have it written on it so don't let them talk you into the wrong hose. Sam 75 280z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: Fuel Pump Questions</b>

Sam, youre absolutely right about how bad worm clamps are for FI hose, as they cut into the hose. I was thinking more of what you would find in your average auto parts store. If you can get ones that fit properly, the aircraft style are always more secure and less damaging to the hose. Sorry to mislead you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.