turn on and off as needed. I have my pump straight wired and am
having surging problems, also the pump has difficulty first turning
on. Is this a bad pump? (probably)
Thanks for any responses.

Paedrig

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
The fuel regulator returns the excess amount of fuel back in to the fuel system. It does not control the fuel pump. (to my knowledge) And no, running the fuel pump all the time is fine, as long as it is only on when the motor is on. I.E. off in the ACC, but on in the RUN position. Your surge problems are probably due to a couple of things, 1 a weak fuel pump, 2 fuel filter, 3 old or bad lines/fuel regulator. Ultimately you are not getting enough fuel under load. So check you fuel filter, if it is bad get a nice billet one from Pep-Boys with a replaceable filer. Aftermarket will cost you less that $5 more that the OEM. Next your fuel pump, get one out of a Porsche in a junk yard, or by a aftermarket one, but be prepared for a increase in the whirring of the fuel pump. This will help a great deal at WOT. Last look at you fuel delivery system. Are the pipes old and cracked? I replaced all of mine in about an hour for less that $10 in tube. If all this fails, grab another pressure regulator from the hardware store, I don't think they are too much. Hope this helps!!

Let us know!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.