ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an idea as to why my Z keeps blowing fuel pumps?? This is my third one (two rebuild from MSA and now a brand new factory unit). I have no clue. You should hear the noises these things make on their way out- you just know the car is going to stall. All wires are in good shape, the two green FI relays under the hood are new, what am I missing??? Any help appreciated.

Thanks all,
JBest
81 ZX

·
Registered
12 Posts
The suggestion from szlash280z78 should lead you in the right direction, but if you don't discover anything, try this:

Since the last failure was a new factory unit (I hope you still have it), take it back to the dealer and ask if it could be sent back to the factory for failure analysis. There should be a warranty or service group at Nissan that does this on a regular basis. The mode of failure should provide some clues as to what is causing the failures.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
957 Posts
On the same line as szlash you might have rust in your gas tank that is flowing through and somehow got past the filter..this will clog or tear the diaphram inside..(happened to me..).... be sure to put in a new fuel filter before the pump and you might even want to get a clear flo one..take the old filter and cut it in half to see if it is full of rust flakes.....

Hope this helps

Z ya later
Mike K

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I didn't know there was a filter before the pump- I'll check it tonight. The new factory unit is in now (didn't fail yet, knock on wood) and hopefully won't go, thanks to your input.

Keep em' running,
JBest

·
Registered
133 Posts
They are referring to, I believe, the fuel tank screen at the base of the gas gauge module. It's really simple to inspect, just have plenty of ventilation and make sure your tank is only about 1/8 full...goggles wouldn't hurt, but I didn't need mine. Depressurize your system as normal for fuel filter replacement just to be on the safe side. I recently performed the same analysis. That part is not ususally a stock item at your local Parts Supply stores...might want to have replacement clamps just in case yours need replacing...good luck

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Couple of things.

Your pump is either ingesting things, or it's inlet is being blocked.

Normally, there is no regular filter inline between the fuel pump and the tank. There is a screen inside the tank, and a check valve in the pump.

If your screen gets clogged, your car will starve (and make funny noises as it tries and tries to pump fuel. Same thing if your check valve gets clogged. Easy to check one of your old pumps. Take off the four screws holding the inlet port to the pump. There is a steel ball that prevents the fuel from running back into the tank. Check for rust and trash. All clean? No pitting on the ball? Great. The problem is in your tank.

Some may tell you to force air back into your tank, to clear the screen. Tempting, but don't do it. It will just return. Instead, have your tank removed, cleaned, and sealed.

If desired, you can add a small filter inline b/t the tank and the pump. If small amounts of trash are gumming up your pump, this should stop it. Just remember to change it along with your other filter.

If your electrical system is fine, then it has to be a fuel problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.