ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tonight I'm driving around after I get my new alt in, working fine, no more surges to 17-18 volts...lol, idle sounding real good. I'm stopped at a stop light, and first i notice the soundle of the idle goes totally to @!#$, then all my dash lights are on (like when the car stalls) so I get it home, and sit with it idling for a little while thinking the battery just needs to charge or something, then the engine falls flat on it's face and stalls....

now it'll turn over (cranks fine, so it's not a charging issue) for about a half second, and no coaxing of the throttle will help it keep up, which sounds like when my fuel pump died on me last about 3 years ago...so anyway, would the best way to check be like i did last time? (take a fuel line off and see if it shoots gas out, ie no pressure) or something else? fyi, i can't hear the fuel pump anymore, it was rather loud this morning.....another question, is there anything I can do to plug up the fuel line when I take the old pump off? like maybe a big fat bolt or somesuch, see I filled up my tank right before this happened, and damned if I don't have enough gas cans to hold 17.5 gallons of gas.... :( any tips, suggestions etc gladly appreciated....

t.i.a.
Ed

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
ok. you can see if it shoots gas.. im guessing you have a 280.. if it got loud then died you may have crap in the tank.. if you have access to air you may want to.. put a clothespin on your fuel line then vice grip that (vicegripping raw line will damage it) to prevent it from leakig all over.. then disconnect line from engine bay filter and fuel pump and blow air through maybe chase some carb or brake cleaner through the lines with air..replace the filter first too before you buy a new pump.. but if you pumped rust or dirt through you will need a new one.. take the pump off and see what drips out.. and if you do need a pump.. i got one for ya cheap :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, it didn't get loud, it's always been kinda loud, which makes hearing it real low (like a electric motor siezed) makes me think that the pump is the problem...one good thing about autozone I guess, lifetime replacement for fuel pumps.... :)

already took them up today on the lifetime replacement altenator I love free replacement parts....

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
If all the dash lights (warning lights?) came on, I would take the alternator back to Autozone and take them up on the lifetime warranty AGAIN. Get used to it, since you will likely be doing it fairly often.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually...

The alt is fine, it was just the fuel pump, after I popped the new one in, it took a while for the charging lights to go out, but the alt charged the battery up nice and good, no more surges either....I don't mind paying $53 for an altenator and having to change it once every coupla years or so....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.