ZCar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1973 240Z basket case
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 73 Z and I'm confused about the fuel pump. There is an electric one back by the gas tank and the mechanical on the right side of the block is "blocked" off . Does the engine truly need two pumps?

·
Registered
1973 240Z basket case
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. Having the one in the back (pushing) is better than the stock one in the front (sucking).
A follow-up question; I know that the electric fuel pump hasn't run for at least 20 years and is probably junk. Should I just replace the electric and forget about the mechanical? Thanks for your shared knowledge!

·
ZCAR.COM Vendor
39 Posts
the electric pump was added on 73 model 240Z's only to help with heat soak and deliver more fuel to the Hitachi Carburetors. Most people get rid of the factory electric pump if they swap to SU's as it is not needed. The earlier 240Z's only ran the mechanical pump.

We offer an electric fuel pump for only for about $60 that works great with carbs. We also offer replacement Mechanical pumps.

TheZStore.com

·
Registered
290 Posts
A follow-up question; I know that the electric fuel pump hasn't run for at least 20 years and is probably junk. Should I just replace the electric and forget about the mechanical? Thanks for your shared knowledge!
I had problems with the mechanical pump that came with the car - it didn't always work - so I replaced it with a new mechanical pump but several times the engine died because the new pump had problems of its own. I added an electric one next to the tank and removed the mechanical one and haven't had a problem since.

With that said, mechanical pumps are typically rock-solid and do a perfect job so I probably just had bad luck, but I feel a little more assured with the new setup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 73 Z and I'm confused about the fuel pump. There is an electric one back by the gas tank and the mechanical on the right side of the block is "blocked" off . Does the engine truly need two pumps?
The stock fuel pump is on the engine. The electric pump by the tank was added as part of a fix for vapor locking along with more insulation on the fuel lines in engine compartment. Not sure the electric pump is sufficient. Note there are also 2 fuel filters one in the pump and the other inline filter in engine compartment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gregg Answer is No it doesn’t need 2. Perhaps the former owner was unable to find a mechanical Fuel Pump or thought they’d get better performance. I replaced the Blick mounted mechanical pump in 2008 and it is still operating fine. My biggest problem with my ‘73 and the early models is running hot. The Fuel rail on the ‘72 (I converted all intake and exhaust manifold equip with a ‘72) runs within 2” above the exhaust manifold heat riser. The new ethanol fuels (premium) boil at very low temperatures causing vapor locking. In addition to venting the inspection covers and using a 1976 vented hood I had it covered until ethanol was added to the gasoline. If I had it to do over which I may do is put in a much larger radiator with dual electric fans. Plus I’m currently wrapping the fuel rail in a reflective Velcro insulated material. But either fuel solution should work.

·
Registered
1973 240Z basket case
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gregg Answer is No it doesn’t need 2. Perhaps the former owner was unable to find a mechanical Fuel Pump or thought they’d get better performance. I replaced the Blick mounted mechanical pump in 2008 and it is still operating fine. My biggest problem with my ‘73 and the early models is running hot. The Fuel rail on the ‘72 (I converted all intake and exhaust manifold equip with a ‘72) runs within 2” above the exhaust manifold heat riser. The new ethanol fuels (premium) boil at very low temperatures causing vapor locking. In addition to venting the inspection covers and using a 1976 vented hood I had it covered until ethanol was added to the gasoline. If I had it to do over which I may do is put in a much larger radiator with dual electric fans. Plus I’m currently wrapping the fuel rail in a reflective Velcro insulated material. But either fuel solution should work.
Thanks much for the information. I was curious why what appears to be a fuel rail is wrapped. Every car has it's own special issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts