ZCar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stumped..... '81 280zx, aceleration suddenly stopped working correctly. When engine hits 2500 rpm, it starves out. I am buying universal fuel pump regulator next. Any idea what may be?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Best way to go about it would be the service manual (FSM)

The one here works well, just have to close the pop up add usually.

There is really not enough info to go by. I could be several different things that could possibly cause your problem.

A cheap fuel pressure gauge would be an easy way to check the regulator.

What’s the history, or new to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I would have checked the fuel filter first

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am stumped..... '81 280zx, aceleration suddenly stopped working correctly. When engine hits 2500 rpm, it starves out. I am buying universal fuel pump regulator next. Any idea what may be?
I had exactly same issue, one day it suddenly wouldn't go over 2500 rpm, would abruptly stop, changed ignition module, problem gone. Available on Ebay, under $100, is on side of distributor. Strangely, a couple days later out of curiosity I put the old module back on and the problem was still gone, might be worth trying just taking module off, reseat the wire connections and putting it back on before getting another. I put the new one back on anyway, keeping the old one as a spare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello, thanks everybody. It was the throttle position sensor. Was giing to remove and clean points, but noticed plug connection was full of water. Doused with wd-40, plugged back in....worked great!

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,269 Posts
Hello, thanks everybody. It was the throttle position sensor. Was giing to remove and clean points, but noticed plug connection was full of water. Doused with wd-40, plugged back in....worked great!
FINALLY!!!! Someone who actually knows what WD-40 is made for!!!

You win at Interwebz Forumz! 🥇

1 - 7 of 7 Posts