Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

my 1980 280zx has a slight problem.
when i first go to start the car, the engine turns and starts, then it dies. like it's all of a sudden lacking fuel. so, i start it again and it will run fine. this usually happens in the mornings, and in the afternoon... after it sets for a few hours.

we checked the fuel pressure and fuel pump and both check out fine.
so is there any other way to check and/or fix this problem? what else could cause this? cold start valve maybe? well, anyhoo.

·
Registered
301 Posts
How yah doin,

I was looking through my owners manual the other day, just for reading material. And it sas 2 things about your problem.

"If engine stops or falters in starting, wait 3 or 4 seconds before restarting. This will prevent possible damage to the starting motor or engine"

and

"If the engine is very hard to start in cold weather or hot weather (which i think is kinda wierd cause its either cold or hot, so...) use the accelerator pedal to help start the engine"

So in otherwords, push the pedal down like halfway, turn the key, and as soon as you hear the engine start up, take your foot of the gas. And let the engine idle for like 30 seconds before you start to drive.

there yah go, if this works post it.

Matt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. i forgot to mention that my z is fuel injected. i don't know weather or not that could be a problem. the car's at the shop right now, but i'll try what you said. it usually will start up everytime, but then dies. sometime in the mornings it will turn but not start. after that it is fine though.
let me know if you find anything else out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am having the same prob with my 82 turbo..right after I replaced the PCV valve and EEC filter. I tried the accelerator suggestion (on my own) and when the engine started it revved up to about 3000 rpm and hung around there...freaked me. Pumped the accelerator as if to disengage an automatic choke, and that probably saved my engine. I don't know. Gonna replace the vacuum line to the PCV valve to see if that solves it..maybe the cold start or the thermotime...not savvy enough to check those two. Lemme know what works for you...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.