ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my fuel injectors in my 280z turbo and now the air flow meter won't stay open to keep the engine running. After about a second or two the door flap closes and the engine shuts off. Could my computer be messed up? Also if I keep it running (holding the door flap open) it warms up and stays running. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> I recently replaced my fuel injectors in my
> 280z turbo and now the air flow meter won't
> stay open to keep the engine running. After
> about a second or two the door flap closes
> and the engine shuts off. Could my computer
> be messed up? Also if I keep it running
> (holding the door flap open) it warms up and
> stays running. Any suggestions?

I had to replace the Air Flow Meter on my 83 ZXT due to surging on acceleration. I was told by Nissan and Motorsport Auto that sometimes the springs that work the flap get old and weak. I don't know how the fuel injector replacement could have affected it so suddenly though. Motorsport did an exchange/core charge on mine. It was also the best price I found.

Russel

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
> I replaced the injectors in my '82 turbo and had no problem with the airbox. Recheck all your connections in the area you were working to see if a wire's off somewhere. Also try disconnecting the battery for a minute to see if the brain resets to solve the prob. (I know it probably won't work, but it's cheaper than buying a new airbox.)

I don't think the old injectors on my car were bad, except when California changed to the new gas a few years ago, all the hoses on all my pre-'85 cars started weeping. So did the injectors. I've now replaced every rubber piece of the fuel system and finally stopped all the leaks.

General question: I replaced with 'rebuilt' injectors from NAPA, mostly because they were ONLY about $50 each. vs. $100-something from Nissan. They seem okay. Any reason I should have done something different?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just finished replacing injector #3 on 83zxt. In addition, I also replaced just the fuel hose on the other 5 injectors as well as new rubber O-rings and plastic injector holders. Injector #3 had a cracked holder with the O-ring bulging out.

The new injector was from NAPA also (it came with the exact length fuel hose attached to it), a Elchin brand that was around $48 with $7 core. When I put the car back together I still had a leak from the fuel pressure regulator (ironically dripping fuel onto injector #3 so I wonder if the regulator was the problem in the first place) so I got a rebuilt from the local auto parts place, put it in, and the car ran great for my 20-mile test drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.